Stripping Outer Sheath Flat T&e

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a wire stripper that can cleanly remove the outer cover of T&E without damaging the insulation on the inner cores.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies have tended to use the cheese wire method but find variation in how easy this is depending on the make of cable. Some outers are easy others are quite tough and using a knife its  easy to cut into the core insulation. Would not mind investing in a propriety stripper on recommendation.

Blunt knife tilted towards cpc, grip cable between thumb and finger and run up alongside cpc, after 41 years you get used to it.

As an apprentice I cut my finger nail clean off twice, never did a third time.

Blunt knife tilted towards cpc, grip cable between thumb and finger and run up alongside cpc, after 41 years you get used to it.

As an apprentice I cut my finger nail clean off twice, never did a third time.
You get caught out when you forget you fitted a new blade and it's no longer blunt.

Thank you all  for  your postings have ordered a jokari stripper so hopefully it will do what I want.

Kerch, all I would be using it for is to give a very slight cut around the outer sheath at the point where the grey insulation is normally cut, to give a proper finish once stripped.

Andy Guinness
Good luck with that then

There is no pass through on the jaws so you will have to attempt to do it on an angle

can I ask,

what is wrong with pulling the cpc?

I really dont have the time for all this poncing..........
I have had no,problems doing that for over 40 years. The only "issues" are when it is Copperclad, but I would imagine most on here have not come across this relic from the 70s

Quick trim around with hte snips...where is the problem?

Doubtless someone will be along shortly to say that it stretches the cpc , thus increasing the resistance, work hardening the copper and ultimately causing the World to end prematurely

Steps, its not about using the CPC for Me, I do that as standard. Being finniky, I want the grey termination to be equal all of the way round the cable, not leaving that slit that is left when using snips to clean up the termination. Call Me a pain in the arris, its just Me though :p

Andy Guinness

Steps, its not about using the CPC for Me, I do that as standard. Being finniky, I want the grey termination to be equal all of the way round the cable, not leaving that slit that is left when using snips to clean up the termination. Call Me a pain in the arris, its just Me though :p

Andy Guinness
How about a bit of insulating tape wrapped around to cover slit and keep earth sleeve in place?