Stuck on Level 3 Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Any help on the workings/equasions for the following question would be greatly appreciated.

Two Capacitors 15F & 45F are connected in series to a 230v 50hz supply. Calculate total capacitance, total charge, total energy stored & inductive reactance.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Cheers

So... is that average or max total charge, and average or max total energy. I don't think those parts of the question are answerable.

Capacitors in series: 1/C = 1/c1 +1/c2

I would have to dig out my BTEC notes to have as hope of answering that! Trouble was I did the BTEC 25 years ago...... vaguely remember questions like this. Rambling now like an old man, sorry...... "I remember when this was all fields..."

By the way... Inductive Reactance? of a capacitor? I suppose you have to assume that they meant capacitive reactance. In which case it is 1/2πfC (in ohms).

Capacitance in Series

1/C = 1/15F + 1/45F = (3+1)/45 = 4/45 convert to 45/4

Capacitance = 11.25Farads

Charge [Q] = Capacitance x Voltage

= 11.25F x 230V

Charge = 2587.5 Coulombs

Reactance [Xc] = 1 divide by [2x pi x frequency x Capacitance]

= 1 / 2 x 3.142 x 50Hz x 11.25F

= 1 / 314.2 x 11.25

= 1 /3534.75

Xc = 2.83 ohms

TA DA!

Charge [Q] = Capacitance x Voltage

= 11.25F x 230V

Charge = 2587.5 Coulombs

TA DA!
Very nice and all that but the question is still meaningless. You have given the answer for the charge on a capacitor with a direct voltage of 230V applied. In the case of a capacitor connected to an alternating voltage, the charge would be constantly varying from 0 to a greater value than your answer.

I don't think that the person setting the question understood it himself. Fairly typical of training organisations these days.

Happy Christmas everyone! :Y