Sub contract rates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning

Ive been asked to provide labour only subcontract rates for an old colleague, this will be work outside of the area i would normally cover, (100 miles away)

Can anyone give me a rough idea on rates to charge or how much over your normal rate?

Thanks

Others may differ, but I have a set hourly rate and I charge that regardless of whether I'm working directly for the customer, or for a contractor.

If I'm working local (within 15 miles) I don't charge mileage, but working 100 miles away, I would add 200 miles at 40p per mile travelling expenses to cover my travelling costs to and from the job.

Often on jobs like that working away from home, I try and organise digs and stay on the job, working long hours to get the job done in a few days. On a new build I've even been known to camp on site before now.

The problem with sub contract is that if the job involved is priced by a firm then they are looking at your sub rates to be inline with the very generous rates :slap of the JIB, so don't expect much more than this. If the job is a smaller one off or private number then your rates can be as you so desire............ Within considerations of current economic climate of course.

You do , however , still have the same overheads . If the main contractor wants to pay JIB rates he should be employing someone really, and supplying a van ,overalls, power tools, meters, paid holdidays etc.

In 22 years in the electrical contracting game,I have yet to hear of anybody getting anywhere close to