Sub main cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Just in the middle of pricing a job and debating what cable to use for the sub main. Basically the DB is located 25m from the meter. The cable would most likely be clipped direct.

I intend to install a wylex switchfuse at the meter (with the appropriate rated fuse) to protect the cable.

There are no electric showers at the property (all on boiler) One cooker, 37 Double sockets, 5 fCU's, 34 lights, boiler supply and smokes.

I am debating whether to use 25mm 3-core SWA, 25mm 2-core SWA with 16mm earth, or 25mm Split con.

There are no local wholesalers around here, therefore I order most of my gear online (TLC etc) I can't seem to find many prices online to compare.

Your help is appreciated. J

Thanks Andy. Where is the best place to purchase this? Do you know of anywhere online? J

Split con here too, much easier to work with.

As for pricing, ring up a couple of wholesalers. Just pricing stuff online you're not really getting anything more than the customer can get IMO. Even if there's no wholesalers locally most will deliver. I've worked for companies that have no wholesalers within 20-30 miles but they have several deliveries a week from the major ones.

what is split con?
There's a thread on it somewhere, a couple in fact. Do a search, but basically it's a single central phase conductor with the metallic sheathing being made of bare copper conductors for the cpc and insulated conductors for the neutral. Bit like single core SWA, but not exactly.

cheers GH. looks pvc/pvc so glandable with just stuffing gland but i'd be concerned with using that in an industrial enviroment to take knocks and bands maybe exposing the neutrals ?

Split con here too, much easier to work with. As for pricing, ring up a couple of wholesalers. Just pricing stuff online you're not really getting anything more than the customer can get IMO. Even if there's no wholesalers locally most will deliver. I've worked for companies that have no wholesalers within 20-30 miles but they have several deliveries a week from the major ones.
I'll ring a few up tomorrow. Hopefully it will be considerably less than 25mm 3-core. Customer is on a budget. (arnt they all) Cheers J

i'd be concerned with using that in an industrial enviroment to take knocks and bands maybe exposing the neutrals ?
Well yes, no-one said it was. It's not really meant to be a replacement for SWA, it's more like easier to manage T&E, so your critique was correct. ;)

Latest posts