Subcontracting Terms & Conditions.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
The work i am presently doing is as a self employed sub contractor and is paid via the CIS scheme. This was not said when i accepted the work, they said i would be paid via paye through a so called umbrella company, following day umbrella company calls and wants CIS details. I had kept CIS from when i worked for another company.Anyway...

Today they send a contract out placing responsibility on me for any work i carry out,including costs to rectify any faults. Im only there as a Improver, working under the supervision of the site electrician.

Now its not that i dont trust people its more i dont trust councils.

Can i say that as long as all work done by me complies with BS7671:2008(any deviations in writing from them) and is satisfactory when i complete my term with them, that they assume all responsibility for the installation. And that i am not liable for any 3rd party damage or issues beyond my control.

fairly common practise really you as self employed are liable for any work you do..

obviously you also need public liability as your self employed and they should be asking you for a copy of it ..

when we use a sub contractor its again fairly standard practise to give them a contract to sign regarding liability of works .. ..

why the need for the umbrella company. this is age old practice brought in to alleviate the burden of cis vouchers.

now the scheme's has been scrapped there's no need to pay someone to get your money. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

fairly common practise really you as self employed are liable for any work you do.. obviously you also need public liability as your self employed and they should be asking you for a copy of it ..

when we use a sub contractor its again fairly standard practise to give them a contract to sign regarding liability of works .. ..
Except the person who is being paid paye by the agency rather than through CIS, has no liability..

To my way of thinking they are taking the pistolero , as an improver you are there to assist the site electrician AND THATS THE EXTENT OF IT How bloody dare they try to drop all those conditions on you . Bloody slimeballs!!! Ok so you are self employed , but you are a self employed improver , end of story!! You are there to do what the site bloke asks, you are not a contractor . DO NOT SIGN OR ACCEPT ANY OF THIS CARP And MAKE SURE YOU GET THE WRITTEN CONFIRMATION OF WHAT TAX THEY HAVE STOPPED UNDER THE CIS

Oh boy bloody cheeky barstewards !!!! If you have work elswhere Tell'em to SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE

Will you be responsible for any liquidated damages if the job over-runs too BLOODY CHEEKY, COWING , SCUMBAGING , BLEEDIN' ****EHAWKES PONCING AROUND IN THEIR WHITE HARD HATS AND NOT LEAVING THE SITE OFFICE IN THE WINTER , BLOODY RAT BAGGING PAPER SHUFFLERS TRYING TO STITCH UP A SPARKIES MATE , WHO THE HELL DO THEY ARE !!!!

HOW DO I WRITE LOUDER ON HERE??

To my way of thinking they are taking the pistolero , as an improver you are there to assist the site electrician AND THATS THE EXTENT OF IT How bloody dare they try to drop all those conditions on you . Bloody slimeballs!!! Ok so you are self employed , but you are a self employed improver , end of story!! You are there to do what the site bloke asks, you are not a contractor . DO NOT SIGN OR ACCEPT ANY OF THIS CARP And MAKE SURE YOU GET THE WRITTEN CONFIRMATION OF WHAT TAX THEY HAVE STOPPED UNDER THE CIS Oh boy bloody cheeky barstewards !!!! If you have work elswhere Tell'em to SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE

Will you be responsible for any liquidated damages if the job over-runs too BLOODY CHEEKY, COWING , SCUMBAGING , BLEEDIN' ****EHAWKES PONCING AROUND IN THEIR WHITE HARD HATS AND NOT LEAVING THE SITE OFFICE IN THE WINTER , BLOODY RAT BAGGING PAPER SHUFFLERS TRYING TO STITCH UP A SPARKIES MATE , WHO THE HELL DO THEY ARE !!!!

HOW DO I WRITE LOUDER ON HERE??
Sending them a letter with my own terms and amendments to theirs if they dont accept, i have a few other options i can look at. For 60 quid a day with a 40 mile round trip i aint liable for nothing.

For 60 quid a day with a 40 mile round trip i aint liable for nothing.
I presume for that money you are only expected to turn up, what are they paying on top of that ?:|

if

it does not matter if an improver or a approved sparks, all he is doing is being liable for his work thats all.

a road sweeper would be liable and would need to be suitably insured.

very few firms are taking on the books and this is an easy fix taking on cis therefore cutting down on paper work and costs to themselves so still being able to take on staff.

i honestly dont see a problem here, yes the money is a little low but it i still work and to be honest anything to put food on the table at the minute ... and also when you do find other works i am sure they would like to see a full cv and experience to..

if you can afford to work for that go for it, also remeber while being cis you need an accountant and will be able to claim certain things back at the end of the year.

i have been self employed 20 years and would spit at anyone wanting to put me on the books ..

basically dont worry ..

I was asked to sign something similar once, it was more to do with the boss had to show we were liable for some of the cost of the job if over run and therefore not a employee of the company. It was just because he didnt want to take us on PAYE, as we had worked there for a while.

It was defiantly not anything to take responsibility away from him, just a piece of paper to show accountant.

yes also covers him if tax man says ur an employee and back dates the employees ni contributions etc.

ive been a subby for about a year now while trying to get my own stuff going, ive been going either direct or via agency, (mainly direct) and ive never been asked to sign a contract of any sort.

I wouldn't be happy signing a contract like that as a spark, let alone an improver! they aren't paying you enough to put that sort of responsibility on you. If it was all price work and they were subbying a particular job out to just you than it may be a little fairer. If someone asked me to sign that i would want everything they want doing in writing with a full scope.

What happens when the foreman tells you to throw a load of tube/trunking up but then realises he looked at an old drawing? is he going to admit he fluffed up? is he fcuk!

as for going through an umbrella company, i have to do it when doing agency work, it can be avoided if you are a limited company. i pay them

ive been a subby for about a year now while trying to get my own stuff going, ive been going either direct or via agency, (mainly direct) and ive never been asked to sign a contract of any sort.I wouldn't be happy signing a contract like that as a spark, let alone an improver! they aren't paying you enough to put that sort of responsibility on you. If it was all price work and they were subbying a particular job out to just you than it may be a little fairer. If someone asked me to sign that i would want everything they want doing in writing with a full scope.

What happens when the foreman tells you to throw a load of tube/trunking up but then realises he looked at an old drawing? is he going to admit he fluffed up? is he fcuk!

as for going through an umbrella company, i have to do it when doing agency work, it can be avoided if you are a limited company. i pay them

I was asked to sign something similar once, it was more to do with the boss had to show we were liable for some of the cost of the job if over run and therefore not a employee of the company. It was just because he didnt want to take us on PAYE, as we had worked there for a while.It was defiantly not anything to take responsibility away from him, just a piece of paper to show accountant.
Wozz , The great American folk singer Woody Guthrie ( who inspired Bob Dylan) ended one of his songs thus :-

" As through this world I've travelled ,

I've met many crooked men,

Some will rob you with a sixgun ,

And some with a fountain pen " Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley