Sunday morning phone call, wouldn't take no for an answer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
I get a call at 11.30 am(from an Asian lady) there it is......

Can i connect an oven today as i have a dinner party at 3 !!!!!

is there a cooker socket near,,,,,,,,,,,yes a plug socket ......no a low level square plate.......er no

well i dont think i can do anyhing for you today,,,,,can you not to a temporary connection and come back tommorrow

I was 2 mins from her so i went there

Old wylex no cooker cct allocated so i said sorry cant do anything

she replied 'can you connect it to the plug socket and i will use only one ring '!!!!!!!! FFS

er no but i can come back tommorrow and quote

can you not do that now,,, ok

get it all the time - 'we need the sockets done today because the plasterer is coming tomorrow'

but they dont like it when you tell them it can be done today, but at a higher rate since it is the weekend (or bank holiday in some cases!)

I remember putting a cooker circuit in on the 24th Dec one time...

FFS the CU was in one corner of the house and the cooker was in the opposite one with laminate flooring over the suspended floor in-between:O

I remember putting a cooker circuit in on the 24th Dec one time...FFS the CU was in one corner of the house and the cooker was in the opposite one with laminate flooring over the suspended floor in-between:O
once changed a CU on an evening/night. started around 9pm, finished around 3am on a good friday. all so the corner shop could be open for the friday.

they had been shut in the 4 days previously, and left the board til the last minute after DNO turned up and refused to connect supply... (the mains board was literally hanging by the cables, which were also badly damaged)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a call this week from an Asian woman round the corner

'you put two sockets in kitchen 2 yrs ago now man has said there is no earth, you must come back & fix today'

Now i remembered this job bcos she wanted a price for 2 sockets in kitchen 2 sockets in utility and the down lights in living room were faulty so I quoted for sockets but gave her an estimate to fix the lights

Agreed a price so went to do the job, husband says the price included fixing the lights?

I said it didn't that was what the estimate was for, he said no for everything, I said sorry no can do and left

Month later I get call to say the lights have gone faulty again I replied sorry but I never did that job or fixed the lights 'oh sorry I've rung wrong number'

So now 2 yrs on she is ringing for me to fix a job I never did, I've quoted to come and look at the problem

Not wanting to get a bashing here but.....From this section of society you tend to get

1. Price agreed
  2. do priced work
  3. Wants extras included on original price.
  4. Then wants to knock the price down after uyou've done the work.
  5. Or take you for a grand (cost other contractors more) then reopen the restraunt in a new family members name........then the cheeky ****s ring requesting you visit as the freezer is tripping the rcd.......jog on Gandu

I now do as my cousin in the print trade does for the Asian customers (this is common across the printing industry so he says)

• work the quote out.
  • Double it.
  • Give them the quote with half payment upfront terms.
  • Collect & clear upfront payment (you have now been paid the qriginal quote upfront in full).
  • Do the work & give invoice.
  • Take the knock on the outstanding invoice.

I got a call at 7.15 on Saturday morning after a night on the beer, don't know why I answered but you live and learn. Lady said men from c#met had been to drop off an oven but wouldn't connect it up as previously agreed because there was a fault on the circuit. Ok I said I'll be round when I've sorted my head out, two hours later I turn up to find that the men who had been earlier had plugged a socket tester into a wall socket and said there was a fault. The oven they dropped off was 4800w and a direct connection. Apparently they had 27 ovens to drop off on Saturday. I think they wanted an early dart. Told woman to ring oven supplier and demand reimbursing for my costs.

Latest posts