Suprised that UK Gov no longer wants people to retrain as Sparks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebsham

Reaction score
I decided last year to join 2330 course at local college as an adult learner, effectively retraining to a new career. I was told I would have to complete 2330 parts 2 & 3 which would take 2 years. Half way through part 2 we were informed that the government was scrapping 2330 type courses and only allowing the new industry based diploma course which would prove impossible to complete if you had no access to industry for the various modules. That was a bad enough blow but then the college informed us that the government had also removed subsidies for adult learners. This would mean that each year's course costing about

Never trust governments and any party they all lie to get in then go back on what they say. Remember before the last elections all parties said they would not put VAT up yet now we are up to 20%. The best one at the moment is we have all got to tighten our belts but they can find 32 billion to put a high speed rail link in. Anyway rant over sorry to hear your troubles but I would imagine its all to do with funding of education which has to be cut to get deficit down probably talking rubbish but I am only a number so what do I know.

I spoke to the man from the college that comes out to see the apprentice, he said the reason for the change to PAYE apprentices only was due to the number of students that drop out after part1. I know when i was at college loads of people gave up after part1, this costs the college alot of money, being paye they are hoping more will stay on the course instead of dropping out.

HTF can our country cry poverty, and still pay millions in aid to foreign countries that dont need it,?!

without being political, and Im going to be,

it all down to the idiots that voted labour and they made all this stuff legal so so one can change it without changing the law.!

BTW, Im not English and Im not allowed to vote for the 'english' government(so how TF is this a democracy?), but anyone that wants to moan about stuff like funding and has ever voted labour is a hypocrite.!

idealism and your own pocket are not something they care about,

at least tory admits to being capitalist.! (BTW, I think they are a waste of space too).

look at marxism, even in the best countries in the world that implemented it it only worked for the top tier that were lining their own pockets,

I truly believe socalism in its purest form is a perfect world,

unfortunately we live in a world where mans greater greed takes over,

'1984' anyone.?

Never trust governments and any party they all lie to get in then go back on what they say. Remember before the last elections all parties said they would not put VAT up yet now we are up to 20%. The best one at the moment is we have all got to tighten our belts but they can find 32 billion to put a high speed rail link in. Anyway rant over sorry to hear your troubles but I would imagine its all to do with funding of education which has to be cut to get deficit down probably talking rubbish but I am only a number so what do I know.
cos the gov before lied through their back teeth about how deep in the **** they had put the country with debt!

I decided last year to join 2330 course at local college as an adult learner, effectively retraining to a new career. I was told I would have to complete 2330 parts 2 & 3 which would take 2 years. Half way through part 2 we were informed that the government was scrapping 2330 type courses and only allowing the new industry based diploma course which would prove impossible to complete if you had no access to industry for the various modules. That was a bad enough blow but then the college informed us that the government had also removed subsidies for adult learners. This would mean that each year's course costing about

Was your level 2 only 1 year? Mine was 2 years but I felt it could've been done in a year. My level 3 is 1 year and i've just about finished thank god!
totally agree the L2 could have been condensed to just 1 year, i mean the whole first year was pretty much wasted on health and safety alone

level 2 was just so drawn out, whilst the opposite could be said about level3 which was too rushed

totally agree the L2 could have been condensed to just 1 year, i mean the whole first year was pretty much wasted on health and safety alonelevel 2 was just so drawn out, whilst the opposite could be said about level3 which was too rushed
That's exactly how I feel, level 2 was a farce and level 3 not much better!

I agree and I disagree :( If you follow that :)

I did both level 2 & 3 in 10 months as a study the theory at home course, however you have to be aware a lot of the course is H&S not electrics.

Anyone that has been around a while really should know the H&S already, so thats 25% of the exam done.

Next 25% is how to communicate, telephone, email etc, strangly enought actually talking face to face never comes up :)

so thats 50% done

The next 25% is how to relate to you workplace, doff your cap and call the forman sir etc.

That just leaves the 25% you need to know to actually do a good job and be safe, but remember the exam test all of the above

are you serious?

75% of the course is spent on H&S and etiquette?

that is just ridiculous!!!!!!!

I can understand the H&S bit, esp for young lads,

but the rest of that is a joke,

headbang

I'm surprised your college didn't inform you of this when you first enrolled. My college told us over a year ago that funding was being pulled. This caused a big uproar as we were at the end of level 2. After a month or so they agreed to honour the course at the subsidised cost as we joined with the intention of obtaining our level 3. The college should still allow you to get on the course as that's what you started it for. Was your level 2 only 1 year? Mine was 2 years but I felt it could've been done in a year. My level 3 is 1 year and i've just about finished thank god!
Yep sussex coast college 2 year course in one year just finished 205 exam so that's the course completed.

One thing I forgot to gripe about, City & guilds not allowing a review of the past paper & everybody in the room at the same time sitting a different paper. We had a student fail the second exam, sat it the next day and got a distinction. WTF???

Latest posts