Surge & Arc protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe a dearly departed member did a full write up on the AFDD as it is an adopted Americanism IIRC from his explanation, introduced over there due to the lack of real testing being carried out and damn near pointless over here?
I assume you are referring to Tony S who I believe was quite active on some of the American forums

With regard to testing I think the UK does more testing than most countries, a few years ago I was over in Tenerife visiting a mate of mine who was renting a property out there, there was an electrical issue in the kitchen and the rental agent sent a local spark round to sort it and when I mentioned about testing the RCD he had never heard of an RCD tester, his only test equipment was a clampmeter / voltmeter

Just look at any forum for landlords and they are all pretty much saying that increased costs = higher rent for tenants.

The problem is that too many landlords don’t do their sums properly and don’t allow for the costs of running a let property
The landlords I do work for like to maintain an overall minimum of 5 - 6% ROI once maintainance etc is factored in they look toward an overall minimum of 8 - 10% ROI from the rent