swa cable size?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt67

Reaction score
Hi,

I am after a bit of help/advice with regards to the correct size swa cable to feed a home office approx 40m at the end of a garden.

Requirement to feed:

1 x pc

1 x printer

1 x ADSL modem

1 x monitor

1 x lighting cct

1 x electric heater (oil filled approx 2.5kW)

1 x radio

At the moment there is an swa cable feeding 2 garden sheds which caters for 2 x light ccts (1 in each), 4 x sockets. This is fed from the main house fuse board via 2 more fuse boards (assume they are RCD's) but not checked yet as access not yet sorted. I wasd planning to remove this existing cable so it can be fed from existing boards.

So:

Q1 - in your collective opinions and not seeing the site, does this sound acceptable?

Q2 - would 6mm 3 core swa be suitable if it is clipped directly to a wall or is 4mm OK?

Thanks for any help and advice given,

Graham

Not enough info IMHO......

What is the earthing type?

What method of earthing are you intending for the shed?

Has the shed got any extraneous metal parts?

Why 3-core?

Would a 2-core + rod be more effective if not exporting any earths?

What calcs have you done?

Is there any probability that load may increase in a couple of years?

Whats your expected max demand?

Whats your expected volt drop?

What protective device are you using & can you meet max Zs?

Have you included Part-P notification costs?

etc..

etc..

:coffee :C

I'd say you'd be good to go with 6mm. Why not do the calc for 4mm X 3c , office load is about 15A max . If the shed plugs are for a lawn mower or occasional drill I'd ignore them for the calc.

i got an office 15m from house and has your spec

4mm does the job

but 6mm is what i would use for that distance

Again - without any calcs, on the (very) limited info provided - 6mm. (although I would calc. it, if it were me. I`d also look at the options a la Special Location`s post above.

KME

max demand 20 amp supply is what id say, just be be careful :) calcs work out at :

4mm 3 core at 40 metres works out at 8.8 volts drop at 20 amp supply

6mm 3 core at 40 metres works out at 5.84 volts drop at 20 amp supply

Latest posts