SWA cutter/stripper

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always mention this where possible, but my best friends dad invented the blade runner (my small claim to fame). I also like to mention that the guy has been seriously ill of late and I get a little annoyed when people slate it as badly as they do. Not having a dig at anyone here, but I mentioned this on another forum and someone said some very inappropriate comments about the man. He had an idea, he pursued it and it was successful, good for him, it hasn't made him rich though.
I don't think they are a bad tool although I did manage to snap one. But they don't work very well on smaller cables thats why I said for 1.5 it would be better to use a hacksaw. I find it works very well on larger cables so I do use mine at times.

It's funny, I have a blade runner, I acquired it at the ELEX in Coventry, thing is I still haven't used it, not even took it out of the packaging :|

Don't tell Mick (the inventor), he may get upset.

:coat

I hadn't seen Mick in years and I was having lunch in the van one day, reading a copy of professional electrician magazine. Suddenly I saw this familiar bloke with this prototype he'd knocked up in his tool shed, sure enough it was Mick. There was a picture of his van in the article and I was able to get his telephone number off the van. I gave him a call and after a good conversation gave his number to his son (longer story, they hadn't seen each other in a long time). So it was smiles all round, he got the deal with Kewtech and thanks to that magazine article, was reunited with a son :)

There haven't been many inovative tools in the trade really, there was the Bush King and the Locknut King , brought out by an ex-NICEIC man I think . There is much less metal in todays bushes so they don't work anymore .

Well, I`M going to give the blade-runner some praise :) :) :)

I`ve had mine for 3 years - and its great for 2.5/3 up to perhaps 10/2......

I`m only on the second blade (the spare that came with it!), and it hasn`t broken, snapped or otherwise become discombooberated.

I really like it, find it extremely handy, and it lives in the organiser box that has all the glands, piranhas, cleats, etc. in, so its "to hand".

Maybe, to quote the comments to me last week on the "meter lead" thread, you need to take more care, and look after your tools? Then you wouldn`t break `em???

KME

I would also sing the praises of the blade runner. I've been doing some outdoor lighting with mine on 1.5 swa and had no problems. I also use pirahna nuts, wago's etc. Anything that makes life easier and reduces time spent faffing can only be a good thing. Without innovation we'd all still be living in caves!

I don't own one - I prefer to use my junior hacksaw.

I have seen a spark using one, and they looked flimsey. I could see the outer casing all moving about.

In fact, the spark used that, against me using the more traditional route and I finished first - complete with Straightness too. (I wasn't trying hard).

I got one of these to try out, as I had a lot of (40'ish), 1.5mm 3 core swa to joint into IP boxes/sockets etc around a large garden. It saved me loads of time, Still on 1st blade (although quite blunt now), so will def. stay on the van. Havent tried it on any other csa's. Hope this helps.

Well, I`M going to give the blade-runner some praise :) :) :) I`ve had mine for 3 years - and its great for 2.5/3 up to perhaps 10/2......

I`m only on the second blade (the spare that came with it!), and it hasn`t broken, snapped or otherwise become discombooberated.

I really like it, find it extremely handy, and it lives in the organiser box that has all the glands, piranhas, cleats, etc. in, so its "to hand".

Maybe, to quote the comments to me last week on the "meter lead" thread, you need to take more care, and look after your tools? Then you wouldn`t break `em???

KME
Well i'm with you on this one, I have had one for about six months now and used it about 4 times with no problems and saves loads of time, I will be keping mine

Chas