SWA going into a trench

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
springcrocus, you are well within your capacities either way so I wouldnt have any worries on that score whatsoever. :)

why dont you bring up something contentious like wanting to export a TT system earth? :D :D :D :D
Steps, if I asked you to set the rods in my garden, it would probably end up looking like a fakirs' bed :^O :^O

Steps, if I asked you to set the rods in my garden, it would probably end up looking like a fakirs' bed :^O :^O
aggie reckons its inversely porportional to beer......

the more beer you supply to me the less I care......

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

aggie reckons its inversely porportional to beer......the more beer you supply to me the less I care......

PMSL :^O :^O:^O

aggie reckons its inversely porportional to beer......the more beer you supply to me the less I care......

And the more beer you drink is directly proportional to the difficulty involved in hitting the rod with a hammer in the first place ;)

aye apache, im not too sure of regs tables etc, but after 2'6" then ground dont freeze(rule of thumb) so logically it must heat.....and surely cable must be buried 600mm min, ie, 2', so we getting close to non frost point and holding heat, thus current capacity for insulation.

hope I make sense. :)
As a side point..

what depth do they normally stick those pipe runs on those heat exchange things that extract warmth from the ground to heat up your house?

this would imply there is a bit of warmth there to extract in the first place..

which theoretically reduce the SWA's ability to dissipate heat??

?:| ? :|

As a side point..what depth do they normally stick those pipe runs on those heat exchange things that extract warmth from the ground to heat up your house?

this would imply there is a bit of warmth there to extract in the first place..

which theoretically reduce the SWA's ability to dissipate heat??

?:| ? :|
1.8 metres deep. :eek:

My understanding was the general mass of earth absorbs heat which you transfer into a coil and then use a fridge in reverse to extract that heat.

You have to dig a VERY deep hole for it to start warming up significantly. ;)

I'd have thought the soil would be low temp and conduct heat awat from the SWA?

So how deep should I bury my cable? Half-a-mile or so, do you think?

Anybody got a very looooong shovel I can borrow? :^O

So how deep should I bury my cable? Half-a-mile or so, do you think?Anybody got a very looooong shovel I can borrow? :^O
National Railway Museum in York has one of the special trains they used to dig the channel tunnel! Maybe use that? :^O

(1.8m is for a ground source heat pump not your SWA. )

18" will be fine on your 6mm SWA,

i think we're at the stage of splitting hairs now and being ridiculous,

tho it is interesting to know how other people conceive such things. :)

think it is all to do with the heat off the cables go into free air. with soil it holds the heat and different soil conducts heat in different rates.

eg chalk looses heat faster than clay soils. long story envolving lamb on a scout camp.

t.

think it is all to do with the heat off the cables go into free air. with soil it holds the heat and different soil conducts heat in different rates.eg chalk looses heat faster than clay soils. long story envolving lamb on a scout camp.

t.
have you had a 'hungi' ? [i have no idea how to spell Maori words either :| ]