Sy Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jammin

Hey Guys. Had one of my jobs inspected and classed as very dangerous because I used a stuff in gland for SY cable. Is there a special gland you have to use for SY cable??? also I didn't earth the steel braid as it's a twin and EARTH cable could someone please tell me if I deserved such a harsh assessment.

In the non conformity it stated that it was CY cable used but it's definitely SY I used don't know if that means anything? 

Incorrect, but hardly 'very dangerous' in my book. 

those SY glands cost a fortune (well £20-30ish) last time i checked. 

Compared to SWA glands i cant see why they cost 10 times the price.

I often find Ground workers and other non electrical trades think they can whack SY outside where SWA should be used.

regards the OP i agree with the others, the screen not been earthed is the issue, and very dangerous is a bit strong.

what was the SY been used for? (inside, outside, from consumer unit or wiska type box, metal or plastic)

Hey Guys. Had one of my jobs inspected and classed as very dangerous because I used a stuff in gland for SY cable. Is there a special gland you have to use for SY cable??? also I didn't earth the steel braid as it's a twin and EARTH cable could someone please tell me if I deserved such a harsh assessment.

In the non conformity it stated that it was CY cable used but it's definitely SY I used don't know if that means anything? 

yes you need a proper gland. but dangerous part is the lack of earth. sorry, but WTF were you thinking? its not 'twin and earth'. yes, there is an earth conductor there, but the metalic sheath must still be earthed

1)  There is a special gland for SY cable

2)   Yes the braid needs to be earthed

3)   Its not twin & earth , its 3 core.

4)   Its a Stuffing gland not a Stuff  in gland .  ( Not taking the pee just putting you right )

5)  Do you have Part P in Belfast  ? 

6)  What did you use SY for ? 

the solution Wiska showed at Elex for sy glands was very good, must find a supplier so i can put them to the test.

i used ordinary stuffing glands but i just used to strip the cable so that the strands were twisted together and either earth them on a lug or put them in a choc block with a flying lead to the earth lug.

Thanks everyone @ Evans Electric. Hey bud thanks for putting me right on the stuffing gland :) . no part p in northen ireland, I just used the sy for connection between an isolator to load as I didn't have any flex. Just thought it looked neater, It was a little loop no more than half a meter. I spoke directly to the assesor and a compromise was made ( stuffing gland will do as long as I earth the steel braid)

Sorry to everyone who posted yes it is three core With One core colored with earth, my inexperience is most definetly obvious :)

@ Andy Thanks I do Appreciate your input your obviously A very accomplished electrician with many years experiance, but sometimes i find your input condersending example: WTF were you thinking.

I'm just starting out I'm doing my best and if i'm not sure of something instead of thinking F$@k it I come on here to ask advice. Common dude give me some credit, I'm learning something new every day :)

Once again thanks forum your knowlege is king.

@ Andy Thanks I do Appreciate your input your obviously A very accomplished electrician with many years experiance, but sometimes i find your input condersending example: WTF were you thinking.

I'm just starting out I'm doing my best and if i'm not sure of something instead of thinking F$@k it I come on here to ask advice. Common dude give me some credit, I'm learning something new every day :)

Once again thanks forum your knowlege is king.
its cos your a McCooey  ;)

:)

city folks are McCooeys

country folks are Birceys

its probably a mid Ulster thing with a throw back to the radio Ulster programme/play featuring the McCooey family from Belfast that moved to the country,

it was mid '70s IIRC,  :|

thats norn iron for ye,

btw, Im from Ballymena hey.  :)

Thanks everyone @ Evans Electric. Hey bud thanks for putting me right on the stuffing gland :) . no part p in northen ireland, I just used the sy for connection between an isolator to load as I didn't have any flex. Just thought it looked neater, It was a little loop no more than half a meter. I spoke directly to the assesor and a compromise was made ( stuffing gland will do as long as I earth the steel braid)

Sorry to everyone who posted yes it is three core With One core colored with earth, my inexperience is most definetly obvious :)
One of the main reasons for this forum is to give advice when possible. Learning is an admittance of ignorance, and it would pay dividends if all members remember that we all have something to learn.

For instance I could run rings around someone like say Sidewinder on medical installations, but he would bury me in a bog with his knowledge of machines and standards.

I do apologise for using you as an example Sidewinder, but based on your outstanding knowledge base, it appeared to be a suitable comparison.

The problem I have found with any short course is the fact that your knowledge base is very limited to passing a pre set exam.

In years gone by we learned how to form metal to provide corners, these can now be bought off the shelf, great if your working day shift and near a supplier, not so great if your working nights and the building has to be operational in the morning.

These basic skills have been lost over the years, and the main reason has been the get rich quick schemes provided by the ill thought out part p scheme.

If I knew everything about the electrical industry I would not be a member of any forum, the fact that I am here is testament to my personal wish to learn.

I only come on here to learn english,  :C   And for the keys to KME's beer fridge while he's on holiday. Guinness   Guinness   Guinness   Guinness

The second part of your sentence was missed off on my screen...

So I put it back on for you!!

:innocent

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts