T&e Cable Runs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HammerMan

Reaction score
Guys,

Been looking at our Kitchen wiring this evening, and we have T&E running on the outside of the wall behind base cabinets and then going into the wall and up to sockets or fused spurs above the worktops.... is this ok? or is this not the done thing?

Also have a few T&E cables running across the top of the wall cabinets, looks like coming up from some wall sockets, running along the top of wall cabinets going off somewhere else... is this ok?

I understand about safe zones but is this generally if your burying cable runs in the plaster wall?

ta

I have seen similar. My view is tw&e is not suitable exposed externally. It also should have mechanical protection if it could be damaged easily, say by a wheelbarrow or a climbing plant.
Pretty sure he doesn't mean external as in OUTSIDE! Guessing he's meaning it's clipped direct to the wall behind the base units?

Pretty sure he doesn't mean external as in OUTSIDE! Guessing he's meaning it's clipped direct to the wall behind the base units?
lol, yes sorry i didnt mean externally outside, i meant external to the wall as opposed to being sunk into the plaster.  its semi-clipped (few missing or broken!) to the plasterboard wall behind the base units and also ontop of some of the wall cabinets.

being trying to work out how to do the pictures.... so far failing :(

I prefer not to do it that way but have done in the past on certain jobs. What is your worry? As for ones above cabinets ideally as long as they are fixed some way this also shouldn't be a problem.

lol, yes sorry i didnt mean externally outside, i meant external to the wall as opposed to being sunk into the plaster.  its semi-clipped (few missing or broken!) to the plasterboard wall behind the base units and also ontop of some of the wall cabinets.

being trying to work out how to do the pictures.... so far failing :(
It is often done for speed i.e. clipped direct to the wall then into the wall and up behind (the tiles) to the sockets etc. Bear in mid there are suggested clipping spacings for T&E. Watch for sharp edges as it enters the wall etc.

I prefer not to do it that way but have done in the past on certain jobs. What is your worry? As for ones above cabinets ideally as long as they are fixed some way this also shouldn't be a problem.
My worry was regs really, wasnt sure if it was accepatable behaviour :) .... and also wasn't 100% weather it could contravene Safe Zone rules or if the vertical adn horizontal safe zone ruwl was designed more for cables buried in the wall adn therfore and out-of-site

I would assume the cables come up to the sockets from below so are in a safe zone.
Yes, once they go into the wall and up vertically they are then in the safe zone

It is often done for speed i.e. clipped direct to the wall then into the wall and up behind (the tiles) to the sockets etc. Bear in mid there are suggested clipping spacings for T&E. Watch for sharp edges as it enters the wall etc.
I see, so guess its ok then... I was just bit shocked when i saw them but guess its ok.

I have just found a piece of T&E coming out of the wall, and snipped flush! luckly its not live which is good!

It is perfectly acceptable to run cable on the surface of a wall, or sunk into a wall, or in conduit, or in trunking, or any combination thereof. One physical length of cable could use numerous installation methods along its run. Safe zones relate to buried cables with the intention of reducing the probability that someone will damage a hidden cable by drilling, nailing or screwing fixings through the wall. Any cable run along the surface is unlikely to be pierced by screws, nails or drills as it can be seen. Cables on the wall surface behind kitchen units are also unlikely to be pierced by other fixings. Even if they look a little messy they are out of sight and its is not uncommon for the kitchen fitter/or his electrician/or builder to just chuck them in as fast as possible because someone else is waiting to fix the worktop and sink in.

Doc H.

couple of pics, one of cables between back of base cabinets and the wall, not really clipped in very well.

the other of the stranded bit of cable found poking out of the wall that had been snipped... and thankfully not livephoto.JPGphoto2.JPG

It is perfectly acceptable to run cable on the surface of a wall, or sunk into a wall, or in conduit, or in trunking, or any combination thereof. One physical length of cable could use numerous installation methods along its run. Safe zones relate to buried cables with the intention of reducing the probability that someone will damage a hidden cable by drilling, nailing or screwing fixings through the wall. Any cable run along the surface is unlikely to be pierced by screws, nails or drills as it can be seen. Cables on the wall surface behind kitchen units are also unlikely to be pierced by other fixings. Even if they look a little messy they are out of sight and its is not uncommon for the kitchen fitter/or his electrician/or builder to just chuck them in as fast as possible because someone else is waiting to fix the worktop and sink in.

Doc H.
ok cheers, thats put mind at rest then, thanks for the advice from everyone, OnOff, Marvo, Batty and Doc H very muc appreciated.