Taking the high jump from single to 3 phase in My mind.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hia all, one of the other advice forums I belong to is Freeindex - costs Me nowt for some really good business info.

As part of this service, I get leads sent to My mobile and email box as and when they come up. I have had one such recently, I have NO intentions of taking it on in the least but I was wondering what may go into the install in terms of design and installation. This job is literally a stones throw from where I live.

If this quite a basic one for you old timers I apologise, I am just trying to learn a bit about it in theory is all.

The Job:

I occupy a small industrial unit on ****** Close.

It is rented from the council.

My business is a precision engineering company so as you can imagine when the machinery is running all day in a small unit it does get quite warm.

What I am looking for is an all in price to supply and fit a reversible industrial ceiling fan and possibly an extractor fan with a wall mounted controller.

AndyGuinness

And what has installing a fan got to do with 3 phase? That would have to be one huge fan to need 3 phase.

Steps, an extract fan can move the hot air out allowing cooler ambient air in. Providing the ambient air is cool enough it will work. But I agree a fan just to move the air around inside the building won't achieve anything.

The reason I am asking is because of what one of the mods said once, about just trying to push yourself a little in what we do as electricians, I apologise if I have caused any issue in the meat of this thread.AndyGuinness
I don't see how you have caused any "issues"

I would say go ahead and do the job. If it ends up as a simple single phase fan, then you at least get to connect it to a 3 phase board so gain a bit of familiarity with those. And if it turns out to be a larger 3 phase fan, it's about the easiest 3 phase job you will get.

So I would say push the boat out a bit and do the job.

Why do you NOT intend to do the job ZeeZee ?

Get a fan technical rep to advise on what they recommend . Then quote accordingly.

A strange looking fan is often used in the apex of a workshop as you describe. The PunkaWhalla fans really just push the hot air in the apex down to shop floor level .

The strange ones I'm thinking of are designed to run all year round .

Bloody edit timeout again !!!!! OK I'll type it all again !!!

You havn't created any "Issues" Zeebrugge just started an interesting thread. Had you created an "Issue" I'm sure Stepps would have stood up on his cart and pointed it out !!!
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Now I need to add something is there time ? I'll do another post .

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:35 ----------

If someone like Roof Units supplies a fan and controller you would normally get a connection diagram with it , if you don't get them to send one if you're not sure.

Places like your customer often ask me about fans this time of year but I always say I'm a sparks not a ventilation designer . I could take a guess but it could be an expensive one .

Small bathroom or a kitchen are no brainers really but not jobs like that . The wiring however is fairly basic , may need a tower etc but thats all part of it .

Last edited by a moderator:
The wiring will prob be via a thermo on or close to the fan which will prob kickin a contactor when it get warm enough,

240V coil, 3phase contactor.

Thats the type we tend to fit in roof spaces,

If thats any help

Last edited by a moderator: