taking zs readings in exam conditions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
I understand when entering or covering a point to do your zs readings you have to make dead.But do I have to keep putting a padlock on fusebox every time I enter or put a lid on my point even though its 5 yards away?.They told us on course take padlock off when ze,l-e psc and p-n psc is done surely by this point you want to be powering up and flicking off whichever breaker you want off to enter and close a point be easier?to do zs readings

I`m assuming you refer to opening a (for instance) light switch or pendant, to take a Zs; as there is no requirement to access the socket circuit accessories for testing.

Given that the above assumption is correct - I think you`re making this more difficult than it needs to be, TBH - you`re about to stick probes into a live enclosure; so I cannot see a benefit in isolating the circuit to unscrew a cover.

Hope that helps.

Mods: could we move this to the student & learning area?

KME

I know what you are saying but examiner wants me to isolate every circuit when removing a cover ie pendant etc not sockets then go back to the fuseboard switch it on take your reading of zs go back to the fuseboard switch power off then go back to screw pendant back its unrealIf you enter a point while live its a fail!what am saying is surely when a keep going back to fuse box a dont have to keep locking the thing off do I with a padlock?Its 5yards away ?Cant I just flick it off by breaker with no padlock?

if the examiner is asking you to isolate every circuit when you open up an cover (as you should) then you should follow safe isolation every time!

Theres no harm in going over the top with safety. In reality you will probably only take a live zs on a socket outlet in your exam.

I know what you are saying but examiner wants me to isolate every circuit when removing a cover ie pendant etc not sockets then go back to the fuseboard switch it on take your reading of zs go back to the fuseboard switch power off then go back to screw pendant back its unrealIf you enter a point while live its a fail!what am saying is surely when a keep going back to fuse box a dont have to keep locking the thing off do I with a padlock?Its 5yards away ?Cant I just flick it off by breaker with no padlock?
So what he is teaching you is kill the power, go to a accessory, open it up exposing live parts, walk away to the CU leaving an accessory open and unattended then switch power on to that circuit while some inquisitive idiot pokes a finger in.

I

Doesn't really make too much sense as you'll be leaving a light fitting unscrewed and live so slight contridiction there.

It may take slightly longer, but if it needs doing to pass your exam then do it! If ever in doubt with anything like that in an exam or assesment always do the safe way. You'll never get marked down for being too safe.

Once in the 'real' world you can do it differently, safety becomes common sense. Kind of like passing your driving test, then slightly relaxing the rules of how you drive. But still driving safe obviously!

I thought that what if the point was far away 100yards switching it on at board while someones getting a shock at other end!A suppose a could say look am going to flick breaker off and not padlock it because its 5 yards away and different circumstances.A think I'll just padlock it then am covered!