Tea Drinking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always find the people with big houses flash cars don't even bother offering u a drink where as the poorer people live in council houses to be more generous

+1 on that

anyone notice that doctor's houses are they worst houses for hygiene ????

While it was snowing i drove 30 miles to fix a lighting fault as a favour to somebody, a friend of an uncle, the first thing this guy said as i walked in with my tool bag was 'before you ask I don't make tea, if you want a cuppa mcd's is at the bottom of the road'......… so I picked up my tools, about turned and did as he suggested, went to mcd's....... Returned an hour later, fixed the fault and charged him twice what I was thinking, nob and yes theory i agree doctors houses are generally disgusting

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one at 7.30 when I get to work, thebn at 10, 12 and 3 and then when I get home probably another 4 or 5....

When I worked for the DNO I would often be working in domestic premises (houses). You would quite quickly decide wether or not to accept the offer of a cuppa based on the hygiene etc. However sometimes you would be working in a perfectly respectable house AND THEY WOULDNT OFFER!

Clearly some kind of subtle hint is required.

Stage 1 - "Cor it aint half hot and dry here innit?" still no response go to stage 2

Stage 2 -  Say (with authority) "I have to turn all the power off soon if you need to boil a kettle or something" - usually works - if installing a shower and doing the plumbing too you might need to add "I will have to turn the water off soon in case you need to fill the kettle" - If still no response proceed to stage 3

Stage 3 - (You need an assistant for this bit - usually an apprentice). In this case we'll call him Mark. Say in a loud voice "Mark, nip out to the van and get my flask will you?" Assistant goes outside to van and returns and says (in earshot of customer) "bad news Jim, your flasks not there - you must have left it in the yard" - in 95% of cases the customer will respond and say "oh would you like me to make you a cup of tea?" - Result.

If you still don't get an offer after stages 1 - 3 down tools and go to McDs or somewhere and really take your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one the other day....

I was testing an empty house and there wasn't even a kettle (I always carry some coffee and a mug) so I just commented that there wasn't a kettle or anything to boil water :(

So the owner had to pop out to get some electric (key meter gone past Emergency credit) and she offered to get me a cuppa from Costa... result!!!!

I have one at 7.30 when I get to work, thebn at 10, 12 and 3 and then when I get home probably another 4 or 5....

When I worked for the DNO I would often be working in domestic premises (houses). You would quite quickly decide wether or not to accept the offer of a cuppa based on the hygiene etc. However sometimes you would be working in a perfectly respectable house AND THEY WOULDNT OFFER!

Clearly some kind of subtle hint is required.

Stage 1 - "Cor it aint half hot and dry here innit?" still no response go to stage 2

Stage 2 -  Say (with authority) "I have to turn all the power off soon if you need to boil a kettle or something" - usually works - if installing a shower and doing the plumbing too you might need to add "I will have to turn the water off soon in case you need to fill the kettle" - If still no response proceed to stage 3

Stage 3 - (You need an assistant for this bit - usually an apprentice). In this case we'll call him Mark. Say in a loud voice "Mark, nip out to the van and get my flask will you?" Assistant goes outside to van and returns and says (in earshot of customer) "bad news Jim, your flasks not there - you must have left it in the yard" - in 95% of cases the customer will respond and say "oh would you like me to make you a cup of tea?" - Result.

If you still don't get an offer after stages 1 - 3 down tools and go to McDs or somewhere and really take your time.
I always say 'its like a desert in here, and I'm beginning to feel like a camel!

My old van had a built in stove unfortunately the new one had had it taken out. I did remove the stove from the old van before selling it but haven't installed it yet. Its handy to have a stove for emergencies when you don't get a cuppa made on the job.

I always find the people with big houses flash cars don't even bother offering u a drink where as the poorer people live in council houses to be more generous
Yes I agree with that (most of the time).  I also find poorer or working class normally pay on time whereas the richer folk make you wait!

My mate got caught out last year by some rich woman who paid him cash in a sealed envelope. He trusted her that the money was correct, but when he got home which was only 5 mins away he found the cash was £80 short.

When he called her back, she was adamant all of the money was in the envelope and he must have lost some of the money on the way home!

Yes I agree with that (most of the time).  I also find poorer or working class normally pay on time whereas the richer folk make you wait!

My mate got caught out last year by some rich woman who paid him cash in a sealed envelope. He trusted her that the money was correct, but when he got home which was only 5 mins away he found the cash was £80 short.

When he called her back, she was adamant all of the money was in the envelope and he must have lost some of the money on the way home!
Ah yes...posh discount applied at source

NEVER count the cash when you get home? Count on site. AND check the cheque on site s

As well

Use writing a receipt "as an excuse" to check the money

Just having been done once!

dont do tea  cant stand the stuff... now gimme a coffee anyday :p    i even have 2 coffee machines at home for the fact of the variable coffee's that they make :p

streety likes his cups of tea  he will even drink them when they near cold  (puke)

had a few customers not even offer a brew :eek:   there was 1 house that we worked on  when i was in the kitchen inspecting sockets and switches we where glad we didnt get offered a brew or drink of any sorts.... feet stuck to the floor... put tools on worktop ready to remove socket and switch plates and when picked tools up there was an indentation in the grease built up on the worktop, which i initially thought was a greyish color actually turned out to be a white worktop! needless to say we wiped our feet on the way out!

That's the trouble with British workers.

They are either

drinking tea or coffee,

smoking,

on the phone chatting or on eBay or Internet forums ,

or going to get materials.

;)

Latest posts