Testers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Just bought a new Megger 1730 yesterday!! Having had a play with it, what can i say... Well,

1, it works!

2, It seems fairly simple to operate with no hidden functions.

3, you can indeed set it to automatically start certain tests such as loop testing, or you can set it to wait until you press test if you want!

4, rechargeable batteries, simply plug in the charger and wait i suppose!!

5, Yes, it does indeed do proper earth rod tests, but unless you get the "onsite" model, which apparently comes complete with the earth rod test kit [spikes and leads] you will have to buy this separately, but i think it is only about

Fluke all the way for me, had meggar MFT in the past and its like a lunch box! Even had the old material bag/holder

I would stay well clear of the 'no brand' testers. Megger/Fluke have spares and backup. If you can't get it to do something chances are someone else knows on here quickly. They got to the top of their game for 1 reason - good reliable products. Buy cheap, buy twice as the saying goes.
Yeah that was pretty much the answer I expected but wanted to check any way, thanks :)

The n acutest lost my testers and had to supply a new metrel I can highly recommend them its much quicker and the leads are better as well.
Quicker & better than the Fluke or the older Metrel?

it is made in britain, and if it goes wrong the furthest it will have to go is dover.
Very true, however I heard they are very busy and can take a few weeks to get it back once it ends up there, but repair turnaround seems a big problem with all the manufacturers at least in Dover its only an 8hr drive for me to shout in someones face if need be lol

Fluke all the way for me, had meggar MFT in the past and its like a lunch box! Even had the old material bag/holder
Not a material bag any more but not much better, its just a plastic box (like a pistol drill box) with no compartments so everything is just hurled in to the one place, this so far seems to be the only negative thing for me on the Megger :-(

The Metrel is quicker than the Fluke, gave it another run out today deffo not as quick and zeroing doesn't seem to work correctly - ended up getting the metrel back out, might have to give it to one of the other electricians to use.

Hmm bit worried now if Megger is classed as the slow one and your Metrel is quicker than Fluke and I found my Metrel a bit slow but bearable, whats the Megger going to feel like for me??

I was brought up with the old Robin separates & also have a Robin MFT, with my 2391 assessing hat on I've seen a fair few newer testers & am impressed by the current Megger MFTs, they seem easier to use than the Fluke equivalents.

The Kewtech meters are basically the old Robins updated, nice and easy to use but the anti-noise/no trip takes an age on Zs...

Hi M4tty - Not to put myself down at all but i don't own isswww (wish i did), however you are quite right, i am really keen to help out where i am able.
I thought ISSWWW were owned by Edmundsons Electrical??

A wee update...

I opted for the Megger MFT 1730 On-site and bought it from ISSWWW (who are part of Edmundson but with better service lol), happy with the service and the meter but had problems with the Loop Impedance readings coming out at aproximately 4 time what it should be. I phoned ISSWWW today who, with no fuss organised a carrier to pick it up tomorrow and are dispatching me a brand new replacement as, apprently Megger did have a problem with this and did a recall.

The Fluke does the same, zeroing leads stays in memory even after power off, although I always re-zero before testing. I find the fluke more user friendly than the megger and it sits better being curved than the megger, also the hard case is much more usefull than the material one on the megger, in my opinion. oh and by the way all the test leads you require come with the fluke as standard, 3 pin test lead, standard leads, clips, probes and a remote test lead that has a test button on it so you don't have to start the test from the unit.

I suppose it comes down to personal taste at the end of the day, but I found testing a chore with the megger.

Hmmm....Still waiting for it to be collected, and no replacement either :z
Please do give me a call if this has not been resolved, my number is 01603 406148. (Mark)

hi, apprentice87

Well I stand corrected, certainly when I was purchasing my MFT, the megger's came with a fabric case and no 3pin 13a test lead, they must have raised their game since then.

Each to their own, its a matter of choice.

Mark