Testing DOL

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob69

Reaction score
When testing for R1+R2 to a motor with a DOL starter..........am i correct in testing R1+R2 from the Board to the DOL and then from the DOL to the motor connection unit and add them together for the schedule.

Also can an insulation test be carried out on this circuit with out isolating the DOL.

Any advice will be much help...thanks

You can do an IR if the Dol has no electronics also you would have to disconnect the motor when doing IR otherwise you will pick up the motor windings- it is easy just to link the DOL out and do R1+R2 at the motor terminals back to Board. if you try and do it by mechanical operation of the contactor you will pick up the Contactor coil.

Not sure why you want to test the DOL anyway

i am sure it is not part of the electrical system and you only need to test up to the isolator

Sure someone will correct me if wrong

When I done this on the level 3 the tutor held the contactor in whilst getting a reading or alternatively measure both sides r1 plus r2 and add them together mate. Hth

Not sure why you want to test the DOL anywayi am sure it is not part of the electrical system and you only need to test up to the isolator

Sure someone will correct me if wrong
how can it not be part of the installation?!

On a periodic we don't test them only up to the isolator does this mean that we should be testing roller door controls and the machinery connected to isolators as well? ?:|
wheather you test them or not on a PIR is down to your limitations

You should be VERY careful about straying on to machinery I&T on a PIR.

Much machinery is designed and built to 60204 and would give possible code 2's under 7671 whilst meeting 60204.

Also, there can be sensitive equipment fitted to machinery which can give spurious readings against 7671 tests but, be perfectly acceptable to 60204 & manuf' requirements, or perhaps be irreparably damaged from 7671 testing.

Paul