Texecom Veritas R8 issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerching

©Kleenex™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
Years since I fitted an alarm 😂
Just replaced alarm at my daughters with the above.All fine apart from the unset light keeps flashing ( I thought it would be steady )
Alarm sets and unsets, goes into alarm when it should. All walk tests work, full set, part set, forced entry, all fuses ok , voltages correct where they should be. I’m guessing it’s just charging a 'low battery'? Or am I missing something?

You have guessed right.
The "day" light should be on constant. If it's flashing either the battery voltage is too low or no mains.
How old is the battery?

Battery is about 20 minutes old. Got a replacement from Screwies today. I’m 150 miles from home and didn’t bring my battery checker with me. Going to check the fuses again tomorrow, I remembered to bring them with me BUT forgot multimeter with current range, only brought Fluke with continuit/volts/capacitance ranges. Whoops

Worth checking are the fuses tight. I have previously had panels where all looks ok, but fuse holder had 0.5mm gap at one end, so it looks ok, works sometimes. Solution: Take fuses out in turn, pinch holder together both, ends put fuse back (obviously)

Also, Texecom have had a lot of poorly soldered (dry) joints lately.

Back in T'day before battery load test meters, if T' battery being charged was drawing more than T' 20mA I changed it.
You said you got it from Screwfix, they don't have a high turn over of batteries, how old is the battery itself? Look at its serial number (on the top adjacent one terminal) the first two digits are year of manufacture. This far in the year it should be starting with 24

There’s only me here ( and wife, so, in effect, only me😂) battery first, then walk tested everything, then mains…so highly unlikely but not impossible, hey ho
If it is a new panel I think you need to connect the mains first then the battery

Update
Rang Texecom, got a call back. Total waste of time, he had no idea, said he would call me back, never happened. Never had poor service from them until now
Soooooo, back to basics as all my test results said ok
Power down
Linkout each zone and A/T
Disc aux power
Reconnect battery
Enable factory settings
wait a few minutes
Connect mains
All good
Reconnect all cables
All good
No flashing light
Which nicely left enough time to do an EICR for her before we go home tomorrow 😂😉

Glad you got it sorted.
Texecom used to be good, but in the last couple of years the tech support has gone down hill, as has quality control.

In the past I have called and imagined the bloke answering sat eating donuts, covered in crumbs, drinking coke and playing Fortnite across three screens whilst at the same time knowing the Alarm system inside out. Yesterday it gave me the impression he was googling an answer,which he wasn’t very good at

At the Security Event in Birmingham last year I asked the Texecom tech guy's a couple of questions and didn't really get a satisfactory answer, I put that down to the fact that they looked like they were not that long out of uni and had zero experience out in the real world of alarm installation and the potential problems that occur

In general I'm finding most tech support these days is based around an on the phone FAQ search with an operator with little or no experience who struggles with the more indepth problems

In general I'm finding most tech support these days is based around an on the phone FAQ search with an operator with little or no experience who struggles with the more indepth problems

Agreed!!

Excluding a simple plug-in and turn it on device..
anyone in any business offering customer/technical support for a product or system that they have never worked on or installed for a real customer, is of limited value when it comes to any slightly non-standard query that isn't on their computer screen.

Since the days when "outsourcing admin / support tasks" became the money saving golden egg for loads of businesses, IMHO 95%+ of support help desks services just went down hill fast.. and never came back up again...!

Some support desk personnel don't even work for the company that supplied the product you are ringing about...
They just read off a pre-written checklist following on-screen prompts..

But if your question is not on their list then you are up poop-creak without a paddle OR a boat!!!!!

Agreed!!

Excluding a simple plug-in and turn it on device..
anyone in any business offering customer/technical support for a product or system that they have never worked on or installed for a real customer, is of limited value when it comes to any slightly non-standard query that isn't on their computer screen.

Since the days when "outsourcing admin / support tasks" became the money saving golden egg for loads of businesses, IMHO 95%+ of support help desks services just went down hill fast.. and never came back up again...!

Some support desk personnel don't even work for the company that supplied the product you are ringing about...
They just read off a pre-written checklist following on-screen prompts..

But if your question is not on their list then you are up poop-creak without a paddle OR a boat!!!!!
You seem to have had the same tech support experience as me, the worst I have had recently is Salamander pumps who won't admit they have a design fault in the flow switches of one of their pumps and the problem they trot out is the pump I have used is wrong and it should have been a negative head pump at nearly 3 times the price when in reality the problem is the rare earth magnets used in the flow sensors which are not encapsulated and rot when exposed to the water in the pump, the magnets are very easy to replace every 10 - 12 months but Salamander do not want to admit to the design fault

@UNG same with tam lite. They won’t admit to a design fault on their Excite pair floods. I have 18 in my son’s warehouse, these are all indoors. Every one has even replaced at least once in the 2,5years they have been in!!!!!!
Guess what? Not made anymore so the new replacements are totally different. Their tech dept reckoned a SPD would cure it, then it was v.d. Then too much voltage. Then rain ( they are external ip65 pir floodlights installed INDOORS!!!!!)

Yes I know shouldn’t have used CEF fittings. Hey ho

Latest posts