The ongoing "racist" campaign continues.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, "Black lives matter" is a worthy cause.  "White Lives Matter" is far right extremist propoganda?
 seems to be judging by the football last night.

I would disagree about respect, young people seem to have  more respect for all sorts of ethnicities / sexual oreintation etc etc than our generation ever had. But then they called 'snowflakes' by 'gammons' and so don't necessarily repsect older peoples views. No different to when I was young, if you wanted to piss old people off you daubed a swastika on something.... 

So, "Black lives matter" is a worthy cause.  "White Lives Matter" is far right extremist propoganda?
In short - yes. Because the way the world is, being white means that you (and me), come from a position of power. 

I’m fully aware that most of you do not share my views, that’s fine. But take a look at this thread and take the time to really read what you’re all saying. Out there in the world of protest people aren’t saying ”ONLY black lives matter”. Of course all lives matter, no one is saying they don’t. BUT, this is an opportunity to take a look at systematic and institutional racism (yes, it does exist as much as some of you will no doubt argue and deny). 

This thread reads as if some of you are scared of what would happen if people of colour were given true equality to white people. Are you feeling threatened? 

Most of you are, as white men, on top of the human food chain. Please, take a moment to really think about your privilages. This is not to say that your life isn’t difficult, or it’s been easy. But think about your words in this thread. Imagine that someone has that same attitude towards you, for something that you’re born with and have no control over. Imagine how that would feel. 

I am, by the colour of my skin, just as privilaged as you. And it’s not something I have really thought of, not even been really aware of because I’ve just taken it for granted. And I have found it very uncomfortable to challenge my views, and think about some of my own behaviours. 
I have however been an only woman in a male environment for many years, and there are times where I’ve really wished that someone would see things from my perspective. So this is me attempting to do as I wished others have done to me, which is opened your eyes, used your ears and seen past your own prejudice. 

Angry ranting Swede over and out.

If that were true today then I’d fully agree with you, however remember when Eminem (is that how you spell it?) hit the seen, he is a white man wanting to sing as the blacks do, was he accepted initially NO he was mocked and berated for wanting sing black, only he persevered and beat them at their own game they accepted him eventually. 
so here’s the crux, I don’t give a toss what colour you are, you make your own way in this world, in the same way you broke into a male workplace, so it can and is done all the time, what stops the blacks is not their ability but their attitude, if they were to change their attitude then perhaps they would find they do get an equal treatment, only they ‘can’t’ change their attitude as it is a way of life for them, it’s all they know. It is also easier for them to play the race card as and when they feel like it. 

I accept that in the decades gone by that an imperialism attitude did exist in this country, however it has changed and been changed over the years, the very fact that as Binky said the young people of white origin are out in support of the black life matter movement demonstrates that this imperialist attitude is not prevalent to the degree it takes precedent over anyone else colour or creed. There are many successful black and ethnic  people within this country shows that all can succeed. 

If that were true today then I’d fully agree with you, however remember when Eminem (is that how you spell it?) hit the seen, he is a white man wanting to sing as the blacks do, was he accepted initially NO he was mocked and berated for wanting sing black, only he persevered and beat them at their own game they accepted him eventually. 
so here’s the crux, I don’t give a toss what colour you are, you make your own way in this world, in the same way you broke into a male workplace, so it can and is done all the time, what stops the blacks is not their ability but their attitude, if they were to change their attitude then perhaps they would find they do get an equal treatment, only they ‘can’t’ change their attitude as it is a way of life for them, it’s all they know. It is also easier for them to play the race card as and when they feel like it. 

I accept that in the decades gone by that an imperialism attitude did exist in this country, however it has changed and been changed over the years, the very fact that as Binky said the young people of white origin are out in support of the black life matter movement demonstrates that this imperialist attitude is not prevalent to the degree it takes precedent over anyone else colour or creed. There are many successful black and ethnic  people within this country shows that all can succeed. 

Exactly.. My sister works for the DWP and she gets this all the time.. "where is my money" "you have not sent in a medical cert" "yes but i have not got any money" "well, you will have to go to the doctors and gert a medical cert" "They will not give me one" "well you need one" "oh i see it is because i am foreign/black. whatever" "no it is not" Yes it is, it is because i am foreign" "No, it is because you have not got a medical cert" etc etc etc..

Good old white privilege, please tell that to the children who used to work in factories in dire conditions often getting killed and maimed with no medical or welfare support. The farm workers who were tied to the landowner and unable to leave the land they worked on under punishment of death. All of them indigenous white people in the UK abused legally by people with money and power.

I served with the Gurkhas for 5 1/2 years and was subjected to racism on a daily basis for being a white round eye but that was fine because it was their way.

My biggest bug bear is the media bias in all of this, it appears to me to be leaning very much left and I find it difficult to find impartial and accurate reporting. Our main media outlets are the worst offenders for creating more divide.

The big problem to be faced  in Britain  is now rearing it's head .      All financially sound  countries can support  and assimilate a  certain degree of  immigration but few have allowed uncontrolled immigration to the level that Britain has .   Every government in the last 50 yrs  had the floodgates wedged open  without considering the future population spurt .  

It started in the 1960's  , everyone worked ,   newspapers had pages of Sits.Vac  , kids left school at 15  & went  straight into apprenticeships ,  unheard of today .  Factories were banging out goods to the world like there was no tomorrow .              And now we are here  ....it is tomorrow .....  the factories are silent , the ship builders are gone ,  the steel works are closed , the mining industry finished,   British cars  virtually non existent  and we have a population  that has grown out of all proportion  ...many of whom think its normal to live off the state .  

This city council publishes leaflets etc  in about 50 languages .      This is a small country .  

No government has ever had the balls to shut the gate .  

The problem is it’s gone past shutting the gate now as that will achieve nothing, there are simply too many people on this island with a governing body promoting service industry over real industry. So once the services are no longer required then we have nothing to offer. 

It has been removed gradually as the increased multiculturalism took over, clearly Morals, Discipline and Respect have different meanings within different cultures :C  

Differnet cultures will have different standards, we do need to do more to educate some of the immigrant population. 

I was really aiming at morals at a high level. We have a government that seems quite content to issue lies such as counting gloves by individual glove, and altering posts to say they warned about Covid last year, and giving contracts to 'mates'.  . Then there's companies like Brighthouse that deliberately exploit the poor (and thick / desperate). Companies  increasingly using palm oil despite the clear evidence that it is destroying the rain forest. Fashion deliberatley promoting changing your clothes on a weekly basis which is also dreadful for the planet, expolits child labour  etc etc All in the name of making money.  And lets not forget things like Nestle promoting breast milk substitutes as being better than the tit. Stock market companies that have internet systems that are faster than yours, so when you click on shares you want to buy they have pushed the price up in the milliseconds it takes you to complete the transaction (how is that legal?).  I'm not against people making money, but the selfish, greedy nature of capitalism quite appalls me at times. And so the common man, sits and watchs the behavious of the rich and powerful, and we wonder why they then behave in selfish stupid ways. 

Getting back to the original point of this discussion.

@misssweden I'm sure can argue this far better than me. White women still havn't achieved equality in the UK, so what chance does anyone of colour have? 

It's not that people with a coloured skin, or women, can't rise to higher levels of society, or white kids from a poor background, but they have to work twice as hard to do it. My uncle Mo, who is Fijian rose to a mangement level in his career, but got stuck at a certain level and ended up training white poeple to take the next level up. Oddly enough he wasn't bitter about it, all he said is that this is a 'white man's country' .  If you watch a lot of history programmes like I do, I find it interesting how things cycle. Currently we seem to be swinging towards priveledge and money taking control. The country (in fact all countries) has always done better when people are promoted on 'merit' ie they have the talent and skills needed, not happen to be born with a silver spoon in their gobs. We need to find and promote talent from all parts of society (and abroad?) if we want this country to be 'great' once again. 

Glad you have faith in me @binky, but I have said everything that I felt needed to be said.

I recently read ”Why I’m no longer talking to white people about race” by Reni Eddo-Lodge. It offers a very interesting perspective on racism in the UK, and it is a definate eye-opener. At times it’s quite uncomfortable, but it’s worth reading.

Anyway, she mentioned in one of the chapters a new policy that had been tried in the US when they recruited for jobs (I think this was for football coaches, but don’t quote me on that). For every job they advertised they HAD to interview at least 3 black candidates. NOT give them a job, JUST interview them. Because research had proven that so many people with the right qualifications never made it to the interview stage solely for having a ”black sounding name”, that they never got a chance to prove their worth. 

On the whole it proved successful, and I was wondering what would happen if this was tried in the UK. Again, with the female perspective, if there hadn’t been a drive towards equality between men and women, would I have been given the chance to do what I do? It’s gotta start somewhere. 

(Clearly had not said everything I needed to say... 😆). 

In short - yes. Because the way the world is, being white means that you (and me), come from a position of power. 

How does the "man in the street" come from "a position of power" merely by being white??

I’m fully aware that most of you do not share my views, that’s fine. But take a look at this thread and take the time to really read what you’re all saying. Out there in the world of protest people aren’t saying ”ONLY black lives matter”. Of course all lives matter, no one is saying they don’t. BUT, this is an opportunity to take a look at systematic and institutional racism (yes, it does exist as much as some of you will no doubt argue and deny). 

"systematic and institutional racism"??? There is none in britain, unless you are either catholic or a gurkha

This thread reads as if some of you are scared of what would happen if people of colour were given true equality to white people. Are you feeling threatened? 

Most of you are, as white men, on top of the human food chain. Please, take a moment to really think about your privilages. This is not to say that your life isn’t difficult, or it’s been easy. But think about your words in this thread. Imagine that someone has that same attitude towards you, for something that you’re born with and have no control over. Imagine how that would feel. 

"scared of what would happen if people of colour were given true equality to white people. Are you feeling threatened??" ha ha ha, look at their countries!!! hardly a threat to anyone, they cannot even feed themselves!!

john..

Good old white privilege, please tell that to the children who used to work in factories in dire conditions often getting killed and maimed with no medical or welfare support. The farm workers who were tied to the landowner and unable to leave the land they worked on under punishment of death. All of them indigenous white people in the UK abused legally by people with money and power

1000% exactly correct.. Not saying slavery was correct, but we had little kids stuffed up chimneys etc. There was a lot wrong in them days.. And we, the "white british" ended slavery, nobody else...

john..

on the subject of the slavery trade ,  didn't the ships travel in a triangle?

Ship from UK to west Africa - where west africans "sold" their country folk to the brits

Ship from west africa to the carribean - where the bits sold the slaves to the locals & bought sugar mainly

Ship from Carribean to UK - where the brits sold the sugar then set off again

Now we all know what our ancestors did, but what about the people in west africa doing the selling?  aren't they to blame too - or is their part in this air brushed out of history? 

on the subject of the slavery trade ,  didn't the ships travel in a triangle?

Ship from UK to west Africa - where west africans "sold" their country folk to the brits

Ship from west africa to the carribean - where the bits sold the slaves to the locals & bought sugar mainly

Ship from Carribean to UK - where the brits sold the sugar then set off again

Now we all know what our ancestors did, but what about the people in west africa doing the selling?  aren't they to blame too - or is their part in this air brushed out of history? 

Got it in one...

john..

Well well well... Take a look at leicester... All the courgettewits with their protests etc, are reaping the rewards now. Stand by for corona virus phase two.. Hate to say i told you so, and i hope the NHS treat them as they deserve to be treated, that is, not at all. Why should NHS staff risk themselves to help these courgettewits.

Oh dear, what a shame.. just feel sorry for the indigenous folks there..

john..

How does the "man in the street" come from "a position of power" merely by being white??

Because that man, although he may face a whole lot of issues, does not have to add ”skin colour” to the things he has to overcome. 

"systematic and institutional racism"??? There is none in britain, unless you are either catholic or a gurkha
There is. But if you’re not even willing to look around to see it, I am not going to argue this with you. 

”Their countries”?! No, there is no such thing as racism in the UK but you cannot even get your head around the fact that you can meet a black person on the street in the UK and they can be British...! 

I rest my case...

"scared of what would happen if people of colour were given true equality to white people. Are you feeling threatened??" ha ha ha, look at their countries!!! hardly a threat to anyone, they cannot even feed themselves!!

I hear what you are saying miss Swede, but when they sit and call another country their homeland even though they are British then what are we to say that isn’t deemed to be ignorant? 
here are the facts. There isn’t one person alive from any race that has endured slavery as per their reference to ‘Slavery’ it was many generations ago so when are they going to get over it? If I were go on about how my ancestors were run out of their country of origin then I’d have a massive chip on my shoulder but the reality is that was then it is not now, I was born in this country, it’s all I know and it’s all that relevant, me hanging on to something that I can’t change or didn’t endure makes me a pretty sad person? How will I ever move forward, how would I integrate with those that I’m actually alive with? 
what happened in the past is exactly that the past, should I be aware of it of course, have we as a human race learnt from it, yes that’s why the world has evolved. 

So who is making the colour of skin a problem? 

I rest my case.