The strange notion of the " Visual inspection "

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of "Visual Inspections " being carried out . " Oh the guy was only here less than an hour" etc " Said it was alright "

So we went to do a Condition Report at an empty property for a Landlord. Nice house, nice road,nice area . As we carry our tools in and look around we both thought the same thing, "There won't be much wrong with this place"

Split load Starbreaker board ,re- wired to 16th edition , no rubber cable anywhere , looking good. electrics LOOK to be in good condition . So walking round and doing a visual and not investigating closely , the following would not be found.

1) Main Earth on a rusty old clip.

2) Supply head has a 3036 fused neutral.

3) 3 X Garden plugs , no RCD protection.

4) Garden lights fed via flex buried in flower beds.

5) Loft bedroom plugs ,no earth .

6) Exposed connectors over kitchen c/bds.

7) Metal dimmer plates , no earth connection.

8) Bare earth in cable used as live conductor th light switch.

9) Kitchen ring open end to end.

Walking round looking, a clipboard would not have shown up any of this .

The only excuse for a "Visual" is ...walk in , see wooden fuseboxes with rubber cables and old round light switches and plugs on wooden pattresses ...walk out saying "Yep it needs a rewire".

Deke, to My mind, the only place that visual inspections have any sort of merit are the likes of Butlins/Pontins/Center Parcs where there is a high customer turnover of rooms on a weekly basis, and the basics checked between check in/out times. Visuals are no replacement for PIR's in My opinion.

AndyGuinness

We don't do visuals as 90% of the time a EICR is recommended after them so don't see much point in them to start with

I largely agree with Zee. Visual Inspections are extremely limited in their extent, so are a tool to use in support of eicr's usually on a more frequent basis or some special circumstance.

Spooky or fricking what?!?!?

I have said this before about Evans...I think we were seperated at birth!

Just got back from my shop refit in Liverpool, had a bath, came downstairs to find a leaflet through the door.

Said leaflet is from a local NICEIC AC who lives about 200m from me [in fact the only 5 ACs in the area live within about 1k of me]

He is advertising a 50% discount on Visual Inspections! NOW only

Spooky or fricking what?!?!?I have said this before about Evans...I think we were seperated at birth!

Just got back from my shop refit in Liverpool, had a bath, came downstairs to find a leaflet through the door.

Said leaflet is from a local NICEIC AC who lives about 200m from me [in fact the only 5 ACs in the area live within about 1k of me]

He is advertising a 50% discount on Visual Inspections! NOW only