The Two New Electrical Registers: "electricsafe" & "electrical Safety Register"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey Specs  I put my postcode in and I'm the nearest electrician to me .

And then all the others are NICEIC bods until I get to my m8 3 miles away.

All I see on the NAPIT one are NAPITers . 

Todays NICEIC Newsletter makes for an interesting read regarding this topic.

Also quite interesting is 'Tony Cables Frequently asked questions'................I would like to know who 'frequently asks these questions? ' In particular this months little gobbit of wisdom

it's probably the same person who 'witnessed' the the Plebgate fiasco and then turned out to be a Lying Copper [ obviously this is only an allegation and is the reporting of a previously reported article freely available in the Press]

Todays NICEIC Newsletter makes for an interesting read regarding this topic.

Also quite interesting is 'Tony Cables Frequently asked questions'................I would like to know who 'frequently asks these questions? ' In particular this months little gobbit of wisdom

it's probably the same person who 'witnessed' the the Plebgate fiasco and then turned out to be a Lying Copper [ obviously this is only an allegation and is the reporting of a previously reported article freely available in the Press]
:D

I also had an email from NICEIC on the same lines .....and I'm an ELECSA ite  !!!! 

I predict the rapid demise of the NAPPIT register and the eventual swallowing up of NAPPIT itself into the ECA/NIC/ELECSA/ECS  jugernaught .

Unt zen vee vill invade Poland !!!!   

Strikes me as a tad unfair that while Napit are doing a decent thing by welcoming all electricians to ElectricSafe NIC ESA ain't. So as an NIC member you can be on bother registers but as Napit member you can only be on one. Who are the mugs here?

While we are all discussing which register, have we thought about what our choices would be with the merged a ECA/NICEIC Monopoly, there will be NO competition, Membership fees will go through the roof. 

There are already rumours of new Registers to join, run by the Monopoly.

We need one brand name for public recognition owned by The Trade, with multiple Schemes to make sure there is competition. 

That way when a Scheme needs to be thrown out, they don’t own the Brand name, so that our trade does not have to fund another marketing campaign.

Good points there Zoro. 

I have to say that many sparks I know were  expecting the different schemes to  either fail or be taken over by the established groups.

At the beginning Zurich Insurance were a scheme operator, presumably hoping to cash in on the warranty side of it.  

I can only presume they pulled out when it became apparent that most sparks ( including myself) couldn't be arsed to become insurance salesmen.  

My view is there should be a straightforward register ( as with GasSafe )  to clarify it all for the consumer.   NAPIT were , I'm afraid, misguided in creating a rival register  , should shut it down and accept the existence of one almighty register which should  contain ALL scheme members  , whether they are swallowed up by the big two or not .

That way competition will remain , as Zoro says, giving the working Sparks, (who are mere pawns in all this empire building) a choice and hopefully , a cheaper alternative to the Big Two .  

Am I correct in saying that as it stands now , NAPIT is only credible scheme standing against the might of the NICEICers...ECAers and ELECSAites combining in a mighty army , sweeping across the plains of Mordor with NAPIT preparing to defend NAPIT Tower to the death in an Alamo like last stand .

Will the ghost of General Sam Houston raise an army from BRITISH STANDARDS and the little known STROMA  and reinforce them before they are overrun and trampled into the ground  ????  

See the next episode at your local Saturday Morning Cinema !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi new to forum and enjoying reading the posts but on this one would like to query a part of Evans electrical's post :

" NAPIT were , I'm afraid, misguided in creating a rival register  , should shut it down and accept the existence of one almighty register which should  contain ALL scheme members  , whether they are swallowed up by the big two or not ."

Napit registered their domain several years ago with the intention of setting up one register ( the original) for  members all schemes  and have been working to set up their site since and niceic / eca (who registered this year and announced their register after Napit's) are the ones who wouldn't work with anyone else and set up a separate register because they are so bloody high and mighty and think they have the right to control a monopoly and dictate to all electricians which will no doubt lead to an increase in fee's and number of hoops that sparks will have to jump through to belong - new courses, extra paperwork, extra inspections etc

i am currently not with any of the schemes as have been recovering from back injuries and corrective surgery so have no axe to grind with any scheme but have been looking at all schemes pending my return to work as self employed and do think that the only thing nic have got going for them is the fact that their name is well known, as they are one of the most expensive and i have serious doubts about the whole QS system as have seen major abuse of this in the past on council contracts with no one bothering to check on the standard of work till someone is injured because "we don't need to because the firm is niceic registered" but when i have explained the QS system means that work can be done by labourers and then supposedly tested and signed off by a QS (and in unscrupulous companies the testing can be at best highly selective and results made up in some cases ) they are stunned that such an easy to abuse system is being used by that most "known and trustworthy body!!".

Welcome to the Forum Jon Small.     I don't pretend to know the history of who started what first and when  to be honest , I am merely one of the pawns who funds this empire building .  

I gleaned from an NICEIC/ECA article that NAPIT had rushed their register out in competition with theirs.

I also understand your misgivings with the QS system .   My point really is (a)   There can only be one register and (b)  I don't think NAPIT can take on the combined allied forces and win .    

Their members , however , would be included upon the mighty register .

Hello jon small..

1/ Welcome to the forum..

2/ Happy Christmas  (assuming you do celebrate it.. apologies if you don't.!)

3/......The bit about abuse of the schemes, quality of work etc. etc.

Almost everyone who moans on about this aspect tends to omit the fact that..

There are complaints procedures and/or even trading standards that anyone could use if they have clear cut evidence of blatant disregard of safety, rules, quality etc. etc..

BUT....

it is often the case that the customer doesn't want to pursue the contractors for negligence  in any form...

because ..

just as there are bad contractors.. (there are bad employees in every business)

There are also..

poor, lazy or bad CUSTOMERS..  who couldn't give a toss anyway..

they just want some boxes ticked a bit of paper and a cheap bill!!!

AND..

Still with all this hoo har about the almighty monopoly NIC...

There is NO monopoly..

{BT used to have a Monopoly for our home telephones...  Not any more}

And as legally none of us have to be a member of any electrical body..

we choose who to join and who to pay our money too...

There is NO monopoly!!!!

And as with any purchase I make..

If I consider it a waste of money of very poor value...

Then I don't spend the money in that place....

Simple market forces would suggest a majority electricians consider the NIC option the most economical return on their investment..

if not they are poor businessmen ?

Guinness

The NICEIC/ECA did a runner when the magnifying glass was applied to their claims, bluster and outright bull**t .... no wonder they prefer to conduct business away from the gaze of the TRADE.

If I were a Scheme operator I would be thoroughly ashamed of my actions within the Part P industry - and as for what they have done via the EAS Committee .... no wonder they are so keen to keep such information away from both the public and the DCLG Commons Select Committee ....  ]:)

I have posted my feeling (below) on other forums but thought I would share it here also ... excuse the repetition of some information but my last point is the more serious one !

All responses welcome.

Here are the links ...

This is the NAPIT one ... that everyone can join - FREE
ElectricSafe Register - Electricians you can trust

This is the OTHER one that only their members can join
Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor

I guess this is gonna make it easier for the public to choose from ...
What also gets me is that because I cannot join the OTHER one, if a member of the public sees my van and company name and looks it up on the WRONG register then they won't find me there and could conclude that I am a 'cowboy' and not registered ... great for my business !
This needs to be sorted asap because it is very biased and is not good for the industry !!!

censored.gif

well no, you are incorrect insofar as not everyone, or every competent electrician can join it,

they must part with some cash first, so its wrong, plus there are a helluva lot of incompetent people on it also, could be called yet another way to legitimise the cowboys.

Hiring a registered electrician means hiring a professional
:slap

I have posted my feeling (below) on other forums but thought I would share it here also ... excuse the repetition of some information but my last point is the more serious one !

All responses welcome.

Here are the links ...

This is the NAPIT one ... that everyone can join - FREE

ElectricSafe Register - Electricians you can trust

This is the OTHER one that only their members can join

Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor

I guess this is gonna make it easier for the public to choose from ...

What also gets me is that because I cannot join the OTHER one, if a member of the public sees my van and company name and looks it up on the WRONG register then they won't find me there and could conclude that I am a 'cowboy' and not registered ... great for my business !

This needs to be sorted asap because it is very biased and is not good for the industry !!!

censored.gif

You have a free choice to leave any scheme and join any scheme....

So there is nothing stopping you joining the option to allow you to be on both registers!

What I cannot understand is how anyone who is running their own business..

hasn't grasped the concept of a free market and customer choice...

No one legally has to be a member of any contractor body...

Anyone joining any contractor scheme chooses from their own free will as a customer of that chosen scheme...

Each of the schemes are free to carry out whatever actions they choose to promote their interests and brand image...

Biased has nothing to do with it...... Just a free market business!

You may as well moan that Tesco's don't promote or sell ASDA own brand goods!!!!

Or say its not fair some contractors can quote a cheaper hourly rate then me...

Or say its not fair that my overheads are different to yours...

Or say all customer should also look in Yellow Pages as well as a safety register!!

:popcorn