the water analogy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
hi can somebody help me understand something?

i know the water analogy is a way of visualising how electricity works,the voltage being the pressure,the conductor being the hosepipe,resistance being bottlenecks in the pipe and the flow of water being likened to the flow of electricity/current.

i understand that high pressure/voltage gives rise to higher flow/current,why then,when using low voltage lights is the current flow increased?

i realise mathematically that the lower the figure for voltage when divided by power will give a higher figure for current,but trying to visualise what happens,it doesnt make sense when using the water analogy,lower pressure should mean less flow shouldnt it?

does anyone know a better way for my tiny mind to understand this.

Think of it like a bigger pipe (the ELV part) where the pressure is less but the flow rate is higher.

,it doesnt make sense when using the water analogy,lower pressure should mean less flow shouldnt it?
yes, but think of it was total water flow - i.e the light need a minimum flow to work - lower pressure, less water, dim light

lower pressure, bigger pipe, same water, light working