Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been asked to install a thermostat on a friends boiler, i have noe experience with boilers at all, I am simply an installation electrician.

Haven't had a look at the boiler yet so dont know what it is or what thermostat he is buying, but just wondered how difficult it could be. I am fairly good at reading diagrams.

Wondered what are the basics for such an installation and do you guys have any tips?

Sorry it's a bit vague

Thanks

Craig

A thermostat is just a temperature controlled switch. Probably a combi boiler with a pair of terminals that you need to remove a strap link and connect your thermostat. Probably just need to double check if 230v or 12v thermostat required.

Doc H.

A thermostat is just a temperature controlled switch. Probably a combi boiler with a pair of terminals that you need to remove a strap link and connect your thermostat. Probably just need to double check if 230v or 12v thermostat required.Doc H.
But if it's just a temperature controlled switch, it does not care if it's switching 12V or 230V.

I was just pointing out that hoppy needs to be aware that not all thermostats can work in every application, a few variations exists. Some require power supply to operate an internal relay, typically 12v or 24v. Some use 230v at the contacts control internal ballast heating resistor and illuminate an indicator light. Some are battery controlled that just switch dry contacts. As we don't know what type of boiler it is, best to make hoppy aware of some possibilities.

Doc H.