Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, 

I need to replace a thermostat , the control must do the water and heating seperate. 

Must I get a specific controller or will a Bobby basic programmable  thermostat work? 

why do you want to change the controller when you just need to replace the thermostat?

A programmable thermostat has only one channel AFAIK, and is only for combi boilers.

We are all confused as none of us have seen a thermostat combined with the hot water controls.

Can you post the make and model number of what you have so we can look it up

Are you sure it is not a two event timer and when the heating is off the water is only cycling under the boiler or tank stat during the hot water timed period.

Is it a gravity system?

We are all confused as none of us have seen a thermostat combined with the hot water controls.

1. Can you post the make and model number of what you have out  so we can look it up

timed period.

Dave , unfortunately mate I have no details as I've been passed this job from a friend. 

Ruston,  all I was told is the controller does both the hot water and heating. I'll find out more details tomorrow and let you know. 

So its NOT a thermostat then? just a bog standard timer?
This appears to be the confusion.

You can get a 2 channel programmer to control the heating and hot water, but it is not a thermostat.

You can get a programmable thermostat to control the heating, but it does not do hot water as well.

We don't understand what you are looking for. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave , unfortunately mate I have no details as I've been passed this job from a friend. 

Ruston,  all I was told is the controller does both the hot water and heating. I'll find out more details tomorrow and let you know. 

Do you mean at this point in time you have not been to site to investigate the reported problem?  If so then I would suggest you go first and check what exactly is and isn't working before just buying some random replacement parts that may or may not cure the problem. Very often the actual problem can be different to the reported problem. As Murdoch asked, why does  it need replacing?

Doc H

Hi, 

Thanks for the replies ,  I wanted to preempt my vist by having the part. 

Ive done some more readying and I know now I need a programmer and not a thermostat . 

My apologise for the misinformation and thanks for everyone's input. 

Very often the actual problem can be different to the reported problem. As Murdoch asked, why does  it need replacing?
Very true.  I still remember the time I drove 40 miles for a "no hot water" fault expecting to replace a thermostat or an immersion heater. When I got there, I found it was a plumbing fault and there was no water of any temperature coming out of two of the hot taps.

Very true.  I still remember the time I drove 40 miles for a "no hot water" fault expecting to replace a thermostat or an immersion heater. When I got there, I found it was a plumbing fault and there was no water of any temperature coming out of two of the hot taps.

And they called an electrician? hope you charged the call-out fee

And they called an electrician? hope you charged the call-out fee
Yes they called an electrician, because the tenant reported the fault as "no hot water" and the letting agent took that to mean (as I did) that the hot water tap was running cold. Yes they paid my time and traveling costs.

Latest posts