three-floor hallway lighting conundrum!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

europa

Reaction score
Hi, guys.

Hopefully a very simple one for you, but i cannot figure it out myself. 

I have three floors with one hallway/landing light on each floor. Ideally, i would like to be able to control all three lights from all three floors. To me, the simplest way would be a three-gang intermediate switch on all three floors, but they don't seem to exist. So is it possible another way? If necessary, i'd be ok with just being able to operate the first floor light from all three floors with the ground- and second-floor lights operable from only two locations.

Thanks in advance!

Also Klick mode switches although not strictly grid switches, allow the switch modules to be interchanged so you can easlily make a 3g interrmediate switch.

Do you have the knowledge to rewire the lighting circuits? To achieve what you want this is almost certainly required.
No, i'm not planning to do it myself. I am trying to specify the number and type of switches for a house renovation. So all i really need to know is what i need to specify! :)

look at grid switches. all modular and put in what switch you want
Thanks, but what are grid switches exactly?...google is not much help!

3 gang grid plate.jpg

This is an example of a 3 gang grid plate. The switches are sold separately so any configuration of switching can be achieved.

These are the klick mode ones. http://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/click-mode-white-pvc-switches-and-sockets.htm

Buy a 3G switch, and three intermediate switches and swap the modules around.

I like them because they are cheap, versatile, quite nice looking and pretty good accessories.

Here's a rear view and you can see how the switch modules are separate and attached to the front plate by a screw so the modules can be swapped for an intermediate module

click-cma013-mode-3-gang-10amp-2-way-white-pvc-switch-2-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Click Mode modular are actually MiniGrid with Mode compatible front plates, excellent solution for a lot of switching things.

You can get 3 gang in a 1 gang plate, which you can't in MK!

You can get 6 gang in  2 gang plate.

I would concentrate on writing the spec for the contractors for the job - the switches will not be of any use unless you specify what you want and where and the cables are all run during the first fix!

I regularly use click mode for this  reason. on a few  jobs  recently been using hager sollysta and impressed with it. I especially like the switches as have a neutral terminal and you can also change the modules over if necessary.  

It can also be done using relays which might give you wider options for switch choice.

Do you really think that domestic installers in the UK are competent & capable of designing, and installing safe & compliant systems that use contactors to switch lighting, really?  Contactors, seriously!!!  :slap

It's a bit old fashioned admittedly but it wouldn't be that complicated if the job is still at the design stage which it sounds like it is. Contactors might be a bit overkill but surely most good sparkys, even domestic ones can wire up a couple of D-series relays.....????

Last edited by a moderator:
Marvo,

I never mentioned "sparkys" I stated specifically & used the specific words, "domestic installers".

In the UK there is a WORLD of difference.

"Domestic Installers" will not have been taught such nuances, and unless they bring prior knowledge to their job (note, I have NOT used the word "TRADE"), then it is doubtful that most will have ANY clue on how to design, a system correctly involving contactors and comply with BS7671 & other statute laws!