Three phase socket wiring.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threephase123

Reaction score
Hi could anyone tell me if the wiring diagrams below are the corect way to wire three phase socket outlets. 5 pin and 4 pin.

Thanks

3 PHASE SOCKETSsas.JPG

3 PHASE SOCKETSneutral.JPG

Looking at the drawings attached to the opening post, would imply its either student or DIY, as most DIY is single phase, student appears the most appropriate location. Unless we are suggesting that qualified electricians have difficulty with L1 to L1, L2 to L2, L3 to L3, E to E (and N to N if appropriate).

Doc H.

So this is not how a single 3 phase socket would be wired from an isolator? I just wanted a simple yes no answer? Not to be patrionised. Could you start again?

Ok thanks. Can you run radials on 3 phases or do they have to be on their own isolator for each socket

Last edited by a moderator:
By isolator, I mean an MCB. Do they have to be fed from different MCB's or can they be wired as radials

I have heard that sometimes there can be problems with getting 2 conductors into the connections? Is that right

It is good practice to run EACH socket as a SEPARATE radial from its own MCB.

Thats what I thought and was asking. Thanks for that really appreciate it!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:17 ----------

What if you needed to put say 20 3 phase sockets in? Would you still be required to put them on their own individual MCB's so 20 MCB'S? Damn that would take up 2 boards or even more?

What about lighting circuits are these taken off a 1 phase from the three phases? I take it you can't get 3 phase lighting?

Each lighting circuit is taken from a single phase MCB. You can have several lighting circuits each from a different phase to balance the load as equally as possible over the 3 Phases.

I have heard that sometimes there can be problems with getting 2 conductors into the connections? Is that right
depends on the manufacturer & what size cable you are using. sometimes easily done, sometimes not so easily done, sometimes cant be done

Most 3 phase sockets have large terminals for cables, however in older factories where distribution is some distance away volt drop means larger csa of cables and sometimes it can be a right pain getting two cables into one terminal.