Through crimps, are they that bad?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mean one of these and to avoid these?
Thats it and always use the nearest size lug or crimp for the size of the cable you are using. Personally I prefer wagos as they are a lot easier and quicker to use and once in they are a swine to pull out.

Batty

If you get wagos in right I guess there is no need to tape them up either.

I have used a lot of the cheaper version of Wagos, made by IDEAL. Once terminated, tuck them neatly into a Choc Box and the job is a good 'um. Perminant joint and no need to be visale for inspection.

I did order and receive, a smple of the wago and wago box. The box was massive and the wago wasn't too far behind.

However, I haven't tried with the IEDAL version, but the Wago terminals can be reused, all you have to do is twist and pull the conductor back out.

I have used a lot of the cheaper version of Wagos, made by IDEAL. Once terminated, tuck them neatly into a Choc Box and the job is a good 'um. Perminant joint and no need to be visale for inspection.I did order and receive, a smple of the wago and wago box. The box was massive and the wago wasn't too far behind.

However, I haven't tried with the IEDAL version, but the Wago terminals can be reused, all you have to do is twist and pull the conductor back out.
I do like the idea of being able to reuse them.

I got a ratchet crimper and crimp set from b&q last week for

This may seem like a stupid question but once the cables are in can you get them out again. Just curious so let's not have the "why would you need to" question please.

This may seem like a stupid question but once the cables are in can you get them out again. Just curious so let's not have the "why would you need to" question please.
I have used a lot of the cheaper version of Wagos, made by IDEAL. Once terminated, tuck them neatly into a Choc Box and the job is a good 'um. Perminant joint and no need to be visale for inspection.I did order and receive, a smple of the wago and wago box. The box was massive and the wago wasn't too far behind.

However, I haven't tried with the IDEAL version, but the Wago terminals can be reused, all you have to do is twist and pull the conductor back out.
:)

My understanding is that through crimps are acceptable because they are a permenant joint, and for that reaon they do not require to be accessible.

Anything else that the cable can be removed from, would not be permenant, and should therefore be accessible for inspection.

I full approve of the use of through crimps (and other crimps) on stranded cable, but I don't like their use on solid core. I was working on a theatre a while back and when I opened a recently installed dimmer it was full of through crimps connecting to solid core and you could pull the solid core conductors out easily and many of them were just spinning in the crimp. For that and various other reasons including the "fake" earth (A generously sized earth cable tucked up behind an isolator and attached to the brick wall with a rawl bolt!) I failed the installation and recommended that they take the issue up with the original "contractor".

I would only use a proper ratchet crimping tool. The cheapo squeezy ones are not suitable for anything other than shortening screws.

The Wago connectors are interesting. When I was doing lighting on Disney Studios in Paris all the electrical joints were done with Wago style connectors. They aren't really designed for re-use, so wherever a wiring screw-up had occurred there was generally a pile of chopped off Wago's lying in the vicinity. They also had an interesting cabling system that consisted of heavy wire basket with a continuous earth cable run along its length and tapped onto it (and other bonds) at regular intervals. The cabling itself was basically round twin and earth installed by immigrant slaves under the control of a few French guys.

lol very good points!ive just had a look at the price of a full wago kit!!! i nearly died!
Hi jib bought one from these people half the price.sorry mate just checked the website just doubled in price,

a bit of an unrelated question but it seems pointless to start a new thread for it.

will a surface mount socket box fit over the top of a sunken backbox and sit securely using 3.5's?

has anyone tried it?

i guess i would be better fixing some wood in the old box and fixing the new surface one to that?