Todays call out.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"My shower has stopped working, but the light on the switch is still on!"

Over the phone I got her to turn it off at the mains...

When I get there I had a quick feel of the switch (prime suspect), but it seemed to be OK.. so next is the shower unit.. ?:|

Undo the screws and try to remove the cover... the f*^%er who fitted it had siliconed the cover on and not fitted the shower to the wall securely,,, X(

That was only the start, when I got the cover off I find that the wiring is not quite to regs...

Red to L

Black to E

Green/yellow to N

:eek: :O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O

and the L terminal and earth cable are showing signs of a bit of overheating...

So I continuity checked & IR'd (all >299Mohms) the cables and all was ok so I cut back damaged sections and crimped in some new!!

PS the shower was replaced by a pro plumber friend of the son 2 years ago.. and he had the cheek to charge!!

Glad to see at least someone who knows what they are doing fixed it for them.

Good advise to the customer at the point of call, always advise them to switch off at supply if you suspect any danger.

Well done on the repair

I had a similar one in an over door heater in a restaraunt, 9.00pm and the place is full and the SwFCU goes up in smoke, turns out the cpc and neutral were swapped over at the heater connection. Melted plastic really stinks too.