Tools and Equipment & books

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeforchange

Reaction score
Can somebody point me to an extensive list of tools required for Domestic electrician?

Approximate cost to kit myself out?

Thanks

Stewart

Hi

I'm going to start C&G soonish and wondered if there was anyway I could start now,ie get the books and start studying now.I have around 10 hrs at work downtime when I can read and study,and work 3 on 3 off so plenty of spare time.

I guess there must be a few must haves that everyone uses?

Ta Stew

You'll always be buying tools, it's like an addiction:slap

First one for the list

Test equipment (forum sponsor meggermark is your man for test kit).

All insulated(Screwdriver,pliers,side cutters,longnose pliers, cable strippers).

Testers various.

Spanners,step ladders,ladders,dust sheets,hover,dust pan and brush.

Crimping set and various types of crimps, earth bond straps.

Various pins and nuts and bolts for fixings raw plugs screws.

Sds drill with hammer stop,Batt drill,maybe jigsaw or recipricating saw.sds masonory drill bits,wood drill bits and metal drills bits,chisels,chasing out bits.

Plus you would prob need to get some sockets and light switches to keep for stock and some cable 1.5,2.5 T&E allways best to keep some on van.

Dependent on testers i'd say

There are some ready made up kits you can buy such as CK Electricians Premium Tool Kit & Bag | Screwfix.com Or smaller cheaper kits Forge Steel Electricians Tool Kit 13Pcs | Screwfix.com Or it may be just as good for you to browse the general tool list on sites like Screwfix Electricians Tools - Search Results | Screwfix.com or TLC Hand Tools - Hammers,Saws,Screwdrivers,Tape Measures and more.. Then just think about what you may already have, and what areas of work you want to get involved in.

Doc H.

I'm a terrible tool freak so I have most of your list in Dewalt recip,jig,sds etc

I've got a Maplins tester that does AC/DC continuity, amps etc.

I'm way off yet but thought i may as well get the extra bits i need before I get made redundant

As for the Van I'll be working for my Brother so vehicles are not a problem

Seperately I will start teh C&G soon and was wondering what books I could get now to get a head start?

I've got a Maplins tester that does AC/DC continuity, amps etc.
A Maplins tester is a DIY electronics hobby tool, it will not have sufficient accuracy tolerance for BS761 complaint electrical testing. You will not normally be using much DC readings on standard AC supplies. and unless it is a clamp meter the Amps readings would be unsafe to use, as a probe meter would have to be placed in series with the circuit. Also most Maplin testers do not have any formal calibration certificate, fact the cost of calibration for the average Multi functional meter is probably more than your Maplin tester cost. They can be useful for very basic fault finding, but they would not be classed as an appropriate equipment for registration with one of the approved contractor bodies.

Doc H.