Tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStartingOut

Reaction score
Hello

I'm just pricing up the tools that I'll have to buy as I am starting up and wondered what you would recommend as essentials for a 'starter toolkit'. Im going to qualify as DI so limited to house bashing initially until gained experience and further quals (2330 etc).

So what tools do you use every day, and do you have any recommendations for things to avoid? (Is it worth buying a chaser etc.)

Many thanks

i use a hand chisel and hand bolster, on soft walls, but on concrete and brick ytou cant beat a chaser with chisels or sds chiseler as they are also known, genheral hand tool screwdrivers 1000V :eek: and side cutters rated 1000V

pliers etc,,.

If you are starting out there's a big difference between what you NEED and what you WANT! Decent quality always pays in the long run. Knipex, Stanley CK, Wera, (?Draper Expert) all good and will outlast chap and nasty versions.

There's a thread here that has some useful lists

Think what it is you plan to do. Many places have sales on ATM. Don't forget certain things may be available second hand for a fraction of the cost TEF Auctions or Ebay

Screwfix usually have a drill or two on a silly offer.

Also remember if you are buying something as a business it has to pay for itself. Either through regular use or by saving you so much time it pays. If business takes off and you are doing well you can always treat yourself. Don't forget you can always hire infrequently used equipment (chaser!) and add it onto the bill!

My best investment ever , I think, is a Bosch 240 v SDS drill which you can switch to hammer only, fit in a chisel about 1" wide for chasing out KO boxes. You will see them for

for house bashing a good chasing drill is an absolute must.... and so is a spare chasing bit!

good ear defenders and dust mask are useful aswell

Hi i've just started on my own and with a small budget ebay is the way forward! I've had everything from a

I reckon you can go two ways - get the best you can afford or get what will get you by. When you start up - it's always what will get you by - and phase your buying!

Get your basic hand tools - VDE screwdrivers - but there's not that much differnce between a Lidl long nosed pliers or cutters and a top quality brand over 6 months - who uses them on live equipment anyway - and you don't reget losing one in a loft!

Voltage testers - get something decent! You need to have confidence in this, and the difference between a good Fluke and a cheapie Screwfix is amazing!

Voltage detectors - vary in sensitivity. Some good - some bad. Wasn't that impressed with the Kewtech one as I remember - but that may be slander! Cost isn't necessarily the driver here.

Pipe detectors - Silverline do a good electric/pipe/joist detector. Joist detector can play up on some walls depending on wallpaper/construction however.

SDS drills - essential - but

You might also like to try bumblebee auctions, the police version of flea-bay.

I got a big Makita circ saw, Hitatchi hammer/rotary drill, Bosch 100mm AG & a Bosch 125mm AG. All are 110v & I got the lot incl deliveruy for

Tin snips, cropers, combi and long nosed pliers, hacksaw, terminal driver, impact driver and sds with rotary stop should get most set for a while.

Latest posts