Training advice would be gratefully recieved

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah8118

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to take the City & Guilds 2357 once they start it in September 2010 - in the meantime I was thinking of taking

the BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Installation (which I have been told is the BTEC equivalent of the City and

Guilds Level 2 & 3 2330 qualifications) as well as the City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regs qualification -

would these be enough to get an employer interested enough to take me on as the City & Guilds 2357 requires on job assessment

as it incorporates the NVQ level 3 element (as well as the 2330 and AM2 qualifications) all in the one package.

I'm just a bit confused by the BTEC as I can't seem to find many practicing electricians that are aware of it.

Thanks for any help.

Sarah

Hello and welcome to the forum sarah, I am sorry I do not know about these training routes but there are many trainee sparks on this forum who I am sure will be able to help you out with an answer, we even have some lecturers who are members of the forum so I would think you will get your answer soon enough

Welcome to the forum Sarah, It's good to have you On-board.

Unfortunately, These course have all changed and are new now, but as GH says, above: There are plenty of students on here, as well as a lot of Lecturers, one in particular, is a regular "Brian157", maybe he can assist?

If you need any further help at all, then please feel free to post in the "Student & Learning Zone". :)

Best Regards,

Admin.

PS. The course sounds great now, as it comines the 2330, NVQ 3 & the AM2. :D

How long is this course for?

I understood it that with them changing the criteria that you had to be working for someone before you could get onto the 2357 course

Yes that's how I understood it, which is why I'm wondering whether it would be beneficial to do the BTEC (which is a home study 18 month course) to make myself more employable.

I would say "Got to college" to do it, 'All the way'.

At least then you have help. And you will need it (With respect) Everyone does.

But there again - Everyone is welcome on here, we are a friendly forum and helpful too. :p

Best Regards,

Admin.

Sarah if it were me I would hold fire for the C&G to start its far more recognised. But you need some experience, some companys might welcome a female to the party as it gives them another advertising angle. Its not going to be easy but if its what you want to do stick with it, theres light at the end of the rainbow.

Good luck Tim

Hi

All of the qualification framework as you know is changing. Summit Skills are now demanding that those wishing to enter into the industry as fully acceptable candidates must be working for a company before they can enrol onto a qualfication pathway to become a full electrician. Some of the reasoning is technical certificates alone will not secure you a job. Also that you need to have employment and commercial skills and on site experience to gain the NVQ3 as stands at present. However many of the colleges at present do not know their funding, the exact components of the courses and in some cases if they have the trained staff level to deliver the new course pathway. It is a bit confusing at present.

You did not menion age if you are younger a company may take you on or a college in some cases may help you to secure a position as a trainee if you approach them. But educational cuts and the recession are unhelpful at present.

If you want to go down the Part P domestic route this may be easier to achieve and will enable you potentially to do everything electrician can in many senses but with limitations as it is domestic only. You could of course then progress onto fully fledged electrician status later once the colleges and Summit Skills and City and Guilds sort themselves out.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sarah, If I were you I'd get in touch with JTL http://jtltraining.com/ they are the guys who sort out electrical apprenticeships.

There are many ways in which you can become an electrician but in my eyes to become a better electrician its best to go down the NVQ3 route. With JTL you take an small loigical exam if you pass you then need to find employment, if you find employment then your on the 3-4year apprenticeship. Which gives you your 2330 (or todays equivalent),2382, am2 and NVQ3.

The reason why I think that is the best route is as its recognised by the JIB for electricians gradeing. Also companies who wish to take on apprentices MUST offer all 3 types of work domestic, commercial and industrial, aswell as different working environments and systems. Which means your going to get the most out of it.