Transformer fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have to agree, i can give a DNO point on view on this matter,

Within CN UK there is NO MV standard.

EHV,HV and LV only.

within our systems its as follows - up to 11KV LV

11KV - 132KV HV

above 132KV EHV (only used within transmission)

sparkss

No need SideWinder, I'm not that bothered what the UK call it ...HV or MV. Searching for Anything specific in UK legistration can just be too time consuming for what it's worth especially in this instance...

Just saying what i have found, since this question was first brought up on here. Go look as i did around the UK web sites, of those that are in the industry. When talking about anything from say 3.3KV to 24KV everything is referred to MV not HV!! (The voltage band is actually 1KV thru 22KV) That includes Cable manufactures, switchgear manufactures, transformer manufactures, Accessory manufactures, and so on and so on.

Seems that everyone that is involved in this part of the industry is fully aware and accepts that this Voltage band is MV, no-where will you you see them refer to this voltage band as HV. I doubt if these industries would be breaking any UK legistration in what there selling, either in their services or equipment.

Don't get me wrong, i also still refer to it as HV in speaking, (old habits die hard) but in writing, i always now quote MV...

I do have to agree, i can give a DNO point on view on this matter, Within CN UK there is NO MV standard.sparkss
Now that is funny in a way, as my friend who is like me ''old school'' and is a DNO regional manager says the exact opposite!!! But like me always verbally talks HV .... lol!!!

Now, what does it say on the Joint/Termination boxes of the manufacturer that supplies you. ...Yep, MV!!! lol!!! Unless of course it's for 33/66KV system...

Matty Have a read up on things like:

Unit protection and Non unit Protection:

Inverse time relays and graded protection, solkor systems and restricted earth fault protection

Current balance schemes:

Separate winding protection

Overall differential protection

The Buchholz Relay(Oil transformers)

Duobios M systems

It will help to give you a better understanding when onsite.

SideWinder,

Think about it, ...you say you don't have much in the way of experience in HV, yet you knew exactly what voltage i was talking about in the first instance. So even you, that doesn't have much involvement in HV knew about MV!!!!

Larnacaman,

I am a bit of a different animal.

I may not have worked on HV (according to UK specs) except in VERY limited circumstance.

However, I am an engineer more than a spark.

Sorry guys.

I thus have a professional requirement to understand such things, especially as I have worked overseas and for overseas companies, whether on MV or HV etc depending on your geographic location.

Whether they are to UK legislation etc. or not.

MY point is that, this is not the case for all personnel working in the electrical installation industry in the UK.

Those that are working on solely UK installs and systems then this will not necessarily be the case.

Thus as we are a UK forum, catering for all, we must use UK terminology and legislation to ensure that those who work in the UK are "trained" with UK terminology.

As I have said IF you can provide me with UK legislation etc. relevant to MV I will apologise.

Gentlemen in the UK MV does not exist.

We can not, as a responsible forum allow any member to influence any person into thinking that there may be.

This is a UK forum with members in other countries and would not presume to teach them any regulation which did not exist.

SideWinder ,

Really, i don't seek any apology in any form, whether i'm right or not. This is just a discussion as far as i'm concerned...

I would think, there is only a very small percentage on this forum that have any HV working experience. So it wouldn't affect them one way or the other calling it MV or HV.

I must be missing something here, Why are all those in the UK industry quoting MV rather than HV, If as you say there is no such thing as MV in the UK and that no-one understands MV??

Medium Voltage was used in previous editions of the regs have seen it marked on switchgear ie 415 volts but under 17th edition I think you will find it does not exist.

The Term MV being medium voltage whilst may not be in current uk legislation is a widely used (and probably misinterpreted) term here in the UKYou only have to google the term to see pages of MV UK hits, including transformers, cable, joints, switchgear, softstarts, training, jointer jobs etc

I'd put some links up but i am sure you can go google for yourself

In my experience some folks dont use it and just refer to LV and HV whilst others use MV as well
Larnicaman was implying that the term MV is in use in the UK, this would lead to confusion to all students who have yet to pass exams.

If a student was to believe MV is a range of voltage used in the UK then they may put this down on an exam paper and be marked down for it.

Any engineer would know that ABB, Eaton and the like do market products, mainly to distribution operators, that come under the banner of MV.

So just to clarify, in the UK the term MV does not describe a voltage range.

It goes from LV to HV with no in between.

Now that is funny in a way, as my friend who is like me ''old school'' and is a DNO regional manager says the exact opposite!!! But like me always verbally talks HV .... lol!!!Now, what does it say on the Joint/Termination boxes of the manufacturer that supplies you. ...Yep, MV!!! lol!!! Unless of course it's for 33/66KV system...
I am "old school" and still say "megga" and "bell out" however I would never use the terms in an exam paper or to my assessor.

MV does not exist as a term to describe a voltage range in the UK.

Simples:p :red card