Travelling Back In Time, Quality Wise.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fish and chips

fish and chips,!

was one of the things I loved about new zealand,

you bought them by the dollar,

ie, you went to the 'chippie' [everyone I met thought that was a funny term! :C   ] and ordered X$ worth of chips, brilliant,

and, they wrapped them in newspaper,! :eek:

fish and chips

fish and chips,!

was one of the things I loved about new zealand,

you bought them by the dollar,

ie, you went to the 'chippie' [everyone I met thought that was a funny term! :C   ] and ordered X$ worth of chips, brilliant,

and, they wrapped them in newspaper,! :eek:
They were referred to as "Shark n Tatties" when I was in Dunedin circa 2001!

And I remember getting "savouries" being brought into meetings along with coffee.........mini Shepherds Pies in fairy cake cases.............and pies in pubs. And too much Speights to remember!!!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

was it full of Scots folks?

everyone I met either thought I was from Hamilton or Dunedin,,,,,,,,

and, I was in north island, mostly auckland and further up, although I did venture a bit further south to Roturua etc,

2001-2002 era

I got a few funny looksd, [i still do] when I asked for a fish supper, as for tatties, yes, a still well used term .  :)

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

was it full of Scots folks?

everyone I met either thought I was from Hamilton or Dunedin,,,,,,,,

and, I was in north island, mostly auckland and further up, although I did venture a bit further south to Roturua etc,

2001-2002 era

I got a few funny looksd, [i still do] when I asked for a fish supper, as for tatties, yes, a still well used term .  :)
I was there 2001 literally just after 9/11, wasn't that fun carrying circuit boards etc in hand luggage! Then again twice in 2003 though the last time I went I landed Tuesday night, worked Weds & Thurs doing witness tests, flew out the Friday morning and was on site in London 6am on the Monday. Didn't even have time to adjust and suffer jet lag!

Dunedin full of Jocks? Only slightly! Well at least in terms of where they came from. Lots of blokes called Angus, Murray etc. Seem to recall that Dunedin is the Gaelic word or something for Edinburgh. There's a monument up in the hills above the town (Signal Hill from memory) erected to the founding fathers. The town (sorry "city" as it has a St Pauls Cathedral again same as Edinburgh) centres around the Octagon and the streets coming off are again named after where they came from e.g. Princes St, George St etc. They even imported either heather or gorse and it's now gone beserk and is a real problem. There was a gold rush way back and I think a lot of the pioneers who carved the railroad were Scots. I loved the place tbh. It was like home but different as I'm sure you know, going into a curry house and being served by a white, blonde, Kiwi girl all done up in a Sari!

Their labour relations were about 20 years behind ours though (still a bit like it from what I hear) I was working with both the design office and various sections of the factory. Tried to organise a drink up one day and the DO said they were up for it. I asked the shop floor lads as in "Beers on me, no strings!" and they too were eager. When they found out the DO lads were going to it was "No way, not with those *****s!". In the end, when I left I went into a local "bottle store" (or was it a Countdown store?) and arranged for a couple of hundred dollars worth of Speights to be delivered to the factory.

Good times though time spent away from the family the down side.

NOT that I partook but I was out there one time shortly after prostitution had been legalised. I always wondered if they found this sign as funny as I did. Used to have a little snigger every time I went by this "cafe":

Last edited by a moderator: