TT Triping nightmare

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All readings are fine I havnt done insulation resistance tho as the client has a lot of cameras
So all readings are NOT fine are they?

IR testing is the one thing you NEED to do to find the fault.

Come back when you have done the job properly.

Did you charge the customer for the RCD? or swap it for free? either way its a waste of money for someone just because an electrician fails to take the correct test equipment.

Doc H.

Did you charge the customer for the RCD? or swap it for free? either way its a waste of money for someone just because an electrical installer fails to take the correct test equipment.Doc H.
I've corrected that for you.

:slap :slap:slap:slap

Dave is that the new derogarory term as was "handyman"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate I have done this then reconnected would trip on the ring main so thinnking that was it and leave them out it would then trip on the shower or another circuit---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:18 ----------

All readings are fine I havnt done insulation resistance tho as the client has a lot of cameras
So what is the relevance of cameras are you concerned they may see you don't have a clue as to what you are doing.

:shakehead

I would start by unplugging all the camera syatem and any other IT equipment and global IR test at a high voltage. If the system passes with flying colours plug in all the camara and computer equipment and retest at a lower voltage like 250v. If it still passes I would split the load onto 2 RCD's instead of just one.

My thinking is that if there's lots of cameras there's probably lots of power supplies which means lots of surge arrestors and mains filters that dump to ground when the clamping voltage is exceeded. These filters have a small amount of natural leakage, the size of this leakage current usually increases proportionally the closer they were manufactured to China. Your tripping fault could just be the cumulative effect of many power supplies (SMPS's) each with a small amount of leakage.

Is this the product of the 5WW courses....? :(

no time to cover basic electrical science or fault finding.... :|

Just cramming to learn those regs to pass the 17th edition...

& the "ever so important" PAT testing part of the course!?

:popcorn

haven't got clue what causes an RCD to trip!

Are there any Surge Protected 4 Way Socket Adapter Leads, I had an installation where they had 3 and that would cause random tripping.

Reduced to one and all was fine, but then 2 weeks ago went to another property with random tripping that had just the one and removing that cleared the fault reading on the circuit and stopped the nuisance tripping.

Talking of the trailing multiway socket adapters I've come across some in recent years where the neon indicator lamps were wired between live and earth. This also cause a nuisance tripping problem with the RCD.