Twin and earth into junction box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeyewire

Reaction score
Hi,

A simple question this: I need to feed 4mmsq twin and earth cacle into an outside junction box. The box has 20mm knockouts, I am coming in from the top. Which is the best way to do this, making sure I maintain the IP rating? The t+e is in plastic conduit. 

I was unsure of the connection between the conduit and the box, but blink's solution seems workable, ie a brass trs gland. Does this connect to the conduit and then to the box? My main concern was to maintain ip, I do have the option of side entry to minimise moisture ingress. 

Well if you simply connect the conduit to the enclosure with the correct fittings in the correct manner, then the ip rating is sorted.

I am also a little confused as to what the issue in coupling conduit to an enclosure is?

I was unsure of the connection between the conduit and the box,

7af282a588b02f05883b08080a97b806.jpeg.a20956d3d79ec0a31e1a42f0ee0c500a.jpeg

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20FMAB.html

17e0cbc6856ea13f779597842c6dc7cd.jpeg.d18f75a02977503e5e796d606af07fd2.jpeg

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20MAB.html

One or the other. depending on the type of box specifically. Usually the female one for a plain sided box and the male one for boxes with pre-threaded entries.

Also available in white.

Thanks Lurch, and everyone, and sorry for any confusion. I knew the plastic fittings were ok internally, they just seemed a bit flimsy for outside use, and vulnerable to water. However if they are acceptable so be it. 

Just to add, the coupler is a push fit and will, I'm sure , be water tight , however I got into the habit of glueing them for outside use.  

You won't want to buy the special glue but could run a bead of mastic round the joints . 

Plumbers waste pipe solvent works,

They used to be different for waste pipe and conduit but I have just looked at the CoSHH sheets for a few conduit and waste pipe adhesives and they are all exactly the same nowadays.