Two way light switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewWhite1970

Reaction score
Hi Hope some kind soul can help me out here, , both switches work independently, but if I switch one on I can't switch off with the other and visa versa, pictures below.
thanks in advance for any assistance
IMG_20240907_095132.jpgIMG_20240907_095047.jpg

To exactly say the same thing another way, the cable with the red and the black should go into one way and two way.
The cable with the brown black and grey should be the same both ends.

In the first pic have you mixed the blacks up?
The black in the 1 Way terminal should be the one which shares the same cable as the red presuming that is the switch cable.
Hi FleetingThanks for the reply, no I haven't touched the wiring yet, that is how they were when I opened the switch, so are you saying in pic 1 the red should be in with the black in the 1way terminal and the brown would go in with the grey at 2way? And leave all in pic 2 the same

Hi FleetingThanks for the reply, no I haven't touched the wiring yet, that is how they were when I opened the switch, so are you saying in pic 1 the red should be in with the black in the 1way terminal and the brown would go in with the grey at 2way? And leave all in pic 2 the same
Thank you, I took me a while to work out what you meant, but yes the blacks were the wrong way round, they probably should be colour taped, we had a decorator take take the switches of a few years back and he must have wired them back the wrong way. Cheers again for you assistance.