type c and b

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi there,

Its normally when the circuit has a higher inrush current than a type b can handle with out tripping. Have a look in the big red book at the back. It shows the tripping characteristics (i haven't got the regs in front of me)

D.

yeah i know that type c has a greater ability to hold in when a surge occurs

but what determins typically when you would install c over b?

On a call out where you haven't enough time to look into a fault that keeps tripping a Type B BS60898 therefore, putting in a Typre C BS60898, as a temporary safety measure?

yeah i know that type c has a great ability to hold in when a surge occursbut what determins typically when you would install c over b?
Large banks of Flourescant lighting.

Certain types of Workshop machinery for example.

Don

Large banks of Flourescant lighting.Certain types of Workshop machinery for example.

Don
Don. I'm interested. What sort of workshop machinary? Is it items which require a very large starting current such as table saws/spindle moulders?

Don. I'm interested. What sort of workshop machinary? Is it items which require a very large starting current such as table saws/spindle moulders?
anything motor wise or fluoresent lighting has high start currents so the type b might not hold,

its all to do with inductive or resistive loads :)

This would depend on the actual start up current, specified by the manufacturers of the machinery.

I have seen an instance of a 16A type B mcb, unable to supply (without tripping) a 1.8KW circular saw, for example.

Don

anything motor wise or fluoresent lighting has high start currents so the type b might not hold,its all to do with inductive or resistive loads :)
Inductive yes, resistive no.

Don

This would depend on the actual start up current, specified by the manufacturers of the machinery.I have seen an instance of a 16A type B mcb, unable to supply (without tripping) a 1.8KW circular saw, for example.

Don
my basic understanding 1800/240 = 7.5amps!

Must have a hell of a draw @ start up

I sent a mitre saw back as faulty as it kept tripping my MCB on a 13A supply

:|

This would depend on the actual start up current, specified by the manufacturers of the machinery.I have seen an instance of a 16A type B mcb, unable to supply (without tripping) a 1.8KW circular saw, for example.

Don
Is that when you are removing those horses heads for the boys to dispatch? :|

my basic understanding 1800/240 = 7.5amps!Must have a hell of a draw @ start up

I sent a mitre saw back as faulty as it kept tripping my MCB on a 13A supply

:|
1 to be remembered ! especially if it comes back not faulty !

Is that when you are removing those horses heads for the boys to dispatch? :|
I believe my boys, use whatever is available to hand, but the Don

never discussses such minor details.

The Godfather

yeah i know that type c has a great ability to hold in when a surge occursbut what determins typically when you would install c over b?
as a general rule C is motor rated, inductive load

and D is transformer rated, resistive load.

B is just a general use run of the mill middle of the road.

remember tho, if you go from a B to C you will half your permitted Zs, and from a C to D you will half it again.

Zs B = 46/MCBrating

Zs C = 23/MCBrating

Zs D = 11.5/MCBrating

I think. Pray

as a general rule C is motor rated, inductive loadand D is transformer rated, resistive load.

remember tho, if you go from a B to C you will half your permitted Zs, and from a C to D you will half it again.

Zs B = 46/MCBrating

Zs C = 23/MCBrating

Zs D = 11.5/MCBrating

I think. Pray
Indeed so, consideration for the cable size, also comes into effect when using type C or D MCBs...

:D

as a general rule C is motor rated, inductive loadand D is transformer rated, resistive load.

Zs B = 46/MCBrating

Zs C = 23/MCBrating

Zs D = 11.5/MCBrating

I think. Pray
Once again Mr Steps.. another Important Gem' added to the topic! ; )Applaud Smiley

its a simplistic way of describing it, and how exactly would you describe the load from a transformer then?
it is inductive.

a filament light bulb or load that has no coil is resistive only

it is inductive.a filament light bulb or load that has no coil is resistive only
so we measure across a transformer with an AC voltage (NOT DC ala your meter!) why do we get a resistance? and that is why we need to use a different characteristic MCB to avoid tripping on this load?

ALL electrical loads are resistive to a degree or less, its the nature of the fundamentals of electricity, you still semm to have difficulty grasping the basics.

NOT everything can be found in a book or on google.