Ufh With Heatrae Sadia Electromax ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richnap83

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought my second house and have started some renovations. The house had wet electric central heating via radiators. It has the heatrae sadia electromax boiler and I was wondering if I could run wet electric UFH down stairs and keep the radiators up stairs? I see there is a special electromax boiler for UFH and wondered what the difference is? Thanks in advance for any advice.

UFH generally runs at a lower temperature. It's normally mixed down within the manifold for the UFH so can take a normal hot feed.

Perhaps the "special" bouler just runs at a lower temperature.

There's no problem mixing radiators and UFH, except UFH takes longer to warm up, so consider a separate time clock for the UFH so it can turn on and off at different times to the radiators.

As this is a renovation, I'll warn you, you MUST install a LOT of insulation under your floors, otherwise a lot of your heat will be wasted heating the ground under your house, so do check you can fit a sensible amount before proceeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers ProDave, if this "special" UFH boiler runs at lower temp would it still be able to run radiators? As for the insulation I'm thinking a solid concrete subfloor with 70mm insulation on top and f/f screed on top of that?

Is this the special UFH boiler you are thinking of?  http://www.heatraesadia.com/amptec_system_boiler/

If so then that's just a small low power electric boiler to run an UFH system and just that.

Whereas the full electromax boiler incorporates a 180 litre unvented hot water tank as well http://www.heatraesadia.com/electromax/

70mm under floor insulation is borderline. I would try for 100mm or even 150mm and something decent like Kingspan or Celotex.  Much easier on a new build to get lots of insulation I know, but it will be worth the effort in the long run.

It's the second boiler that I have, but there seems to be two models. The underfloor model runs from 30-60 deg and the radiator version (that I have) runs from 65-80 deg. Its on page 5 of the installation guide under tech data.