Underfloor Heating Probe

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewiz

Reaction score
Hello, 

Not really installed domestic underfloor heating but we have just installed a 2x2m mat in a bathroom. 

The floor has been screded but they didnt put the probe in the mat. 

still works fine and gets hot but will the stat continue to get hot even though on a low setting as the probe can not tell what temp it is? 

Will it still work in the future ???

The probe/sensor is supposed to go under the mat flush with the floor.

I assume your thermostat is outside the bathroom so the sensor is required to control the floor temperature in the bathroom.

Yes i know they are meant to go in with the matt. but flooeres left it out... Very expensive tiles and customer does not want any taken up 

will the matt continue to get hot even tho on a low setting?  

yes, it will burn out,

how can the temp be controlled if you havent put the temperature probe in?  :shakehead

how come the floorers left it out?

didnt you put the mat down?

who took the resistance readings of the mat before the tiles were laid?

is it the same resistance after the floor was laid?

The sensor and the thermostat/controller have a set point to stop the mat overheating, it can be adjusted but has a fixed limit.

I think the sensor needs to go in.

If the floor gets too hot it will crack the tiles anyway.

Either way if you put the mat down you have dropped a boll*ck, if you did not you should have, and as Steps said it should have resistance confirmed in box, then on floor and then after tiles laid.

resistance was tested and all ok. we put the matt down and told the flooered to lay the probe next to the mat but insted it was left out and poking up the skirting 

thewiz - The probe/sensor goes in the floor first so its flush with the existing floor finish, then the mat goes down on top of that, followed normally by a latex wash over the mat, then the floor adhesive which is suitable for heat mats then the tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
why wasnt the probe put down properly in some 10/16mm flexy conduit?

thats how I do all mine so if the probe goes faulty it can be replaced,

I agree with Steve,

youve dropped a ball here,

YOU should have put the probe in , no-one else.

you dont leave the plumber a roll of 10mm and tell him to put it in when he moves the stop tap.

resistance was tested and all ok. we put the matt down and told the flooered to lay the probe next to the mat but insted it was left out and poking up the skirting 
Then tell them to come back at their expense, lift a tile, repair any damage and fit the probe.

I can't see why you didn't put the probe in as others have said it should go through the supplied conduit so it can be removed if it goes faulty.

Hello, 

Not really installed domestic underfloor heating but we have just installed a 2x2m mat in a bathroom. 

The floor has been screded but they didnt put the probe in the mat. 

still works fine and gets hot but will the stat continue to get hot even though on a low setting as the probe can not tell what temp it is? 

Will it still work in the future ???

1/ By your own admission you don't do this work much..

Therefore there was a greater burden upon yourself to ensure you knew what was needed.. 

and that it was installed properly...  (and/or checking others do their bit correctly.)

2/ Electric mat underfloor heating is a job that needs correct electrical testing... 

so again the burden is upon you to ensure it is all done correctly...

3/ consider an analogy....

I have fitted and immersion heater WITHOUT a thermostat...

will it work OK?

it seems to come on and heat the water..??? 

:popcorn

On this topic.

I was called to a property that had just had a heating mat laid 2 weeks earlier. I had provided the power point but a.n. other had installed the mat.

Customer complaining that there was a smell of burning in the bathroom. Can I check it out?

The floor had been beautifully tiled.

Tested the mat and oh dear.

They had ordered a mat that was too large so the tiler had left the remaining 3m roll coiled up under the bath. 

The whole lot had just melted.

New floor and mat required.

:slap

Went to one a while back that didn't work, householder had no paperwork or certs or anything,

I started testing when he appears and says

"here is the stuff that was extra if it's any help for you to know the type of cable"

They had just cut off the extra cable   :shakehead

I have a plumber mate who put heating cable in his bathroom.... left the excess coiled up in his airing cupboard... I looked at loads of options to get it working, but in the end he just cut it off and left it disconnected