Unexpected Reading Between Earth And Neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer Boy, Blue Duck,

I should have said that I had first used a 

Martindale VI137002 Voltage Tester & PD440 Proving Unit Kit
to perform safe isolation however the Martindale only has lights that illuminate to show what voltage is being recorded - it showed as 50V +.  So I used the KT64DL to see if I could get a more accurate reading which I did - at 65V.

The KT 64DL might not list voltage detection as part of the spec you have read but its got a big red button on the front that says VOLTS and the manual tells you how to use this function.  Nevertheless I will speak to Kewtech on Monday and come back to you with their response.

You seem to be criticising me when you could make yourself useful and answer my question about the fault I am finding between L E and N E, I believe I have provided quite a lot of information about the fault and the electric system so far - if you would like to ask more about the system or the results I have so far measured please do so.  I repeat, the stable block is a red herring here as the fault is in the main house as well - I merely discussed the stable block to provide sufficient background.  If you can't be useful, or just aren't able to contribute from your own lack of experience then its probably best if you quietly go away.  No offence intended.

so you are saying the MAIN SWITCH is OFF and you still have 65V showing on one of the conductors?

Have you looked inside the consumer unit to see the main switch was wired correctly (I have found one where it was only switching N not L)

Hi Pro Dave.  Yes all checked, please refer to my previous posts where I explain what I have tested and the results.  The fault voltage was only recorded when the system was de-energised (isolated from main supply by main RCD located between the meter and the CCU).  When energised no fault voltage was recorded.

Ok,

One thing you need to get sorted here is where you are measuring these voltages,

One minute you are saying N-E,  next breath you say it's E-N 

Make your 'kin mind up,!!!!!!!

BTW, 165 &65 =230 so there numbers add up just fine,

Broken neutral on the incomer?

But, first you need to actually take some meaningful measurements,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrical background is the EAL Gold course at Trade Skills 4 U.  17th edition, Part P, Inspection and Testing.  If you take the time to read ALL the posts on this thread (which many don't bother) then you will know that I am suitably qualified - yet inexperienced!  'm not setting out saying I Know it all and I recognise the limitations of a short course versus experience which is why I'm posting here in the first place.  But everyone starts somewhere and it is posters like Blue Dick and Trailer Boy who seem to want to bully (ex mercenaries, which btw is a waste of time) from trying their best in what is undoubtedly an area where experience reigns - isn't this just one of the reasons why these boards are here in the first place! 

Thanks Andy, Yawn.

resistance of the earth electrode Mr.canoe

It seems to me that you all have answers (to something) but nobody wants to address the issue that I have asked about.  Read my posts and if you have something meaningful to add then please contribute, if not get off the ...

we dont know what the problem is... we could all take a guess, and someone would probably be correct, but you will never know until you do some proper I&T, which it seems is way beyond your abilities

@OP

I have found it increasingly difficult to understand the problem and I feel you are out of your depth.

From your posting's I cannot understand wether you have proved anything and it appears that you have got lost along the way and you should go back to basics and hit the books.

In my job I have a limited time to fault find, sockets can be particularly difficult in some of places I go in to and for my own sanity I wish to be in and out as quickly as possible. You need to know the equipment you using, its limitations and approach the problem calmly and methodically, note down your readings and if necessary do some drawings to make things clearer.

I hope you find what is causing this issue and you learn from it.

I won't be contributing to this thread any further.

JS

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Canoeboy,

I don't disagree with anything you have said in your last post and I may take you up on your offer to come down - I would pay you of course.  But I would be grateful if you could at least read my posts from the start as other posters have brought much confusion to the topic.

Latest posts