Universal Fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Novel....

I see loads of these sorts of things for foreign stuff, looks bodgier when there's familiar parts involved!

Novel....

I see loads of these sorts of things for foreign stuff, looks bodgier when there's familiar parts involved!
What's the max Zs rating for fuse can not find it in the regsROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

i got sent this the other day, nice.

yoshi-keys.jpg

Or is it Britain which has them reversed?
Maybe thats like the rail signal thing where down used to be ok to proceed until a signal failed and fell down and trains crashed.

The U.K. never seems to have been able to make up its mind on this issue. Early knife switches on live-front distribution boards soon adopted up for on so that a weak switch falling would not close a circuit which was supposed to be open, and I understand that early enclosed toggle & tumbler switches were also arranged up for on when first used. At some point the convention changed to down for on, but then for many years we retained up for on on distribution gear (think of those side-handled metal clad units installed widely in the 1930's/40's).

Then for some reason when all-in-one consumer units made their appearance the main switches reverted to down for on. Now main CU switches have changed back to up for on again, to match the MCB's which have mostly always been up for on. Then there are the older ELCB's, where some were up for on, others were down for on.

Why on earth didn't we just stick with one convention throughout?

And another thing.

We often have debate about our power ON and power OFF indication lamps, should on be red or green, red for danger or should it be green for power is on systems are go.

And another thing.We often have debate about our power ON and power OFF indication lamps, should on be red or green, red for danger or should it be green for power is on systems are go.
I still find three phase board confusing sometimes even ive been working in the industry for a couple years now.

We often have debate about our power ON and power OFF indication lamps, should on be red or green, red for danger or should it be green for power is on systems are go.
I understand that in certain installations it was decided to avoid this potential pitfall entirely by adopting completely different colors for indicators on panels, e.g. blue for off & yellow for on.

How can a lamp light up if the power is switched off?? surely it would be normal for a lamp to be lit up ie yellow, blue, green, pink with brown spot :^O and so that would indicate that power was available, what i dont understand is that if the supply was turned off to something how would a light illuminate (big word for the day! :^O ) with no supply present apart from a battery back up of course!

How can a lamp light up if the power is switched off?? surely it would be normal for a lamp to be lit up ie yellow, blue, green, pink with brown spot :^O and so that would indicate that power was available, what i dont understand is that if the supply was turned off to something how would a light illuminate (big word for the day! :^O ) with no supply present apart from a battery back up of course!
But how does a light come on when some thing has tripped:p

We're talking about lamps on an indicator panel which show whether a particular contactor or circuit-breaker is closed or open. They're wired on separate control circuits, not on the actual feed which is being switched.

Latest posts