Unorthodox Wiring Techniques For Houses Containing Teenagers !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a fairly large house for a bargain price, however it needs loads of work !.

Later this year I will be rewiring the house.

Since I have three teenage children I am slightly tempted to wire the house a bit differently to ensure that they have normal sleep patterns and are always fresh for college !

Teenage night time activities can include:

Surfing the net,

Cooking,

Playing video games.

Here is what I'm hmmm contemplating (whilst chuckling).

Bedrooms

A 16A 2.5mm T&E radial circuit to each bedroom, this would supply the sockets and a ceiling light via a 3A FCU. These radials would be fed via timeswitch in my bedroom so they would switch off from midnight to 6.00am.

Router

Connected to FCU which also switches off from midnight to 6.00am.

Kitchen

A 230V - 12V PSU in my bedroom would energise a door magnet so the kitchen door could not be opened between midnight and 6.00am.

I'm not 100% serious and I know it sounds extreme but has anybody else ever 'modified' their house wiring to cater for such situations ?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to custom wire a house that contains teenagers but will comply with 17th edition regs ?

Cheers

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
:slap

I actually contemplated something similar,

putting the bedroom sockets on a timer for when my kids get older,,,,,,,,,,,,

radials are deffo the way to go, along with spider lighting, makes it so much easier to fault find/isolate faulty cables/fittings

you missed a bit: one of these in every room

CoinMeter0.jpg

Rev, if all you are worried about in your teenage children is cooking, surfing the internet and playing video games, then God bless you.

I suggest the time and effort may be better spent on window locks, creaky floorboards and possibly cornflake filled mattresses ;)

I changed the password on the BT router and my boy just reset it by pressing the little button in it when we'd gone to bed. Then I found I couldn't get on it!

Good piece in Saturday's The Times yesterday on the lines that because of hormonal changes (something to do with melatonin) teenagers are programmed NOT to go to sleep early and stay up till all hours even though they need to get up for school. Seems you shouldn't have a go but say "As your parent I'm concerned that you are not getting enough sleep. Your fitness and immune system will improve and I suggest you research this yourself.............ON THE INTERNET"

:slap

I actually contemplated something similar,

putting the bedroom sockets on a timer for when my kids get older,,,,,,,,,,,,

radials are deffo the way to go, along with spider lighting, makes it so much easier to fault find/isolate faulty cables/fittings
Where did you find the tip about spider lighting? on the web :slap

Ypu might want to consider electrifying the bed frame of the male teenager.... :)

Apache, on 02 Mar 2014 - 4:12 PM, said:Rev, if all you are worried about in your teenage children is cooking, surfing the internet and playing video games, then God bless you.

I suggest the time and effort may be better spent on window locks, creaky floorboards and possibly cornflake filled mattresses ;)
The issue is that they, in particular the oldest, are not getting enough sleep and therefore turning up at college late because of their nocturnal activities the night before !. I feel my duty as a caring parent is to do what I can to help them get to college on time and excel !.

Andy, good idea about the meters, however that would not stop them having power in their rooms all night and thus doing everything except sleep.

Canoeboy said:
Canoeboy, on 02 Mar 2014 - 5:40 PM, said:My mate had the same thing with his step son - On the Playstation all night and then was always late to college 

Then he got a part time job and got sacked for being late to work all the time

My mate asked me what he could do on the internet so we bandwidth limited him on the router after 10pm and then at 11 pm we cut of his internet (wifi and LAN) locked to the PS mac address 

Then at midnight the power points in his room all died :slap

He has now finished college and works hard and doesn't stay up late :pmsl1:
Great post, that's encouraging to hear !  :Applaud

Canoeboy said:
KNX is used in Building Management along with other protocols

I doubt it will be cheaper

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot209.nsf/veritydisplay/0504c8888239106fc12574b700305173/$file/2CDC500046B0201.pdf

http://zennio.com/en

http://www.comfortclick.com

http://www.laser.com/index.php/cPath/43/osCsid/0infavr4jtci75h308jt65qvo0

If it was me i would just use a PLC and HMI so all possibly cheaper than a home automation KNX solution

I dont get involved with any of the programing. Its one of our clients that has every property done in KNX. What i have learnt though (I may be told otherwise in a moment)  is any make of  KNX is compatable so its better than loads of other building management systems. In this house halls, stairways etc are pir controlled  and other rooms microwave sensors to switch off after last movements. Every window has blinds, curtains & security roller shutters connected.

This is one of 3 banks of the controllers for one house

2012-11-27 09.06.36.jpg

Little bit of wiring (Niceic inspector commented on grouping factors, i told him r.b. said it would be ok)2012-11-27 09.07.01.jpg