Unqualified "sparks" - you may be on borrowed time .....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my point is that c and g electrical injstallation was always thought of as the bees knees as its was quite complex and also fairly hard in the theory, so y should i not take it lightly being asked again to take more exams to show i know my job that ive been doing for many years!!>

Don't worry Badge, like me you have ALREADY been assessed and accepted as a QS with a scheme provider. The only thing further required is 2382 17th Edition if not already obtained.

(Just 14 days left to get it before the deadline expires!)

:run

Don't worry Badge, like me you have ALREADY been assessed and accepted as a QS with a scheme provider. The only thing further required is 2382 17th Edition if not already obtained.(Just 14 days left to get it before the deadline expires!)

And then you will be doing it all again next summer with the proposed 17th Ed update.

PS: Oh and don't forget your nice new shiny Green regs book and OSG.... :_|

Hey guys, this is just a general response to the thread.

I did not go through the apprenticeship scheme when i was younger, Didn't have a clue as to what i wanted to do at that age anyway, After many a dead end job, i joined an electrical company as a P.A.T tester and was trained as such. From time to time in this company i was sent to help labour for the sparks when neded, after a few years i found i was spending much more time doing electrical work than PAT testing and i got a taste for it, but felt i had missed the boat in regards of ever becoming qualified. That was untill i saw What is regarded as a 5 day wonder course, so i enrolled in it. I have since achived mt 2330 level 2 and level 3, 2391 test and inspect and full 17th edition. All of which i didn't find too dificult as i already had a sound understanding and lots of experiance. I have not filled in my NVQ3 log book yet as i just don't have the time. I recently became the new NICEIC QS for the company i work for after our annual assessment in november. The SJIB have said they will never issue me with a grade card as i never undertook a registered apprenticeship scheme with them, so i guess in their eyes and possibly others, Im not qualified,

The SJIB have said they will never issue me with a grade card as i never undertook a registered apprenticeship scheme with them, so i guess in their eyes and possibly others, Im not qualified,
From what i can understand from both some of the guys here on the Forum and from others relayed personally, i don't think your missing out too much on not gaining a grade card from this organisation. But do get that NVQ3 logbook completed and submitted, ....in fact MAKE the time!! It could make the difference between being offered a job or a higher position and not even being considered....

As a footnote to this overall discussion, ...some of the best general contracting electricians i've known, didn't have a single qualification to their name. One in particular that comes to mind immediately could, if been given the chance in his youth, of being an Engineer, and a good one too. Just as well, that he must be long since retired by now, in the present context of what's going on in the UK these days.

Don't worry Badge, like me you have ALREADY been assessed and accepted as a QS with a scheme provider. The only thing further required is 2382 17th Edition if not already obtained.(Just 14 days left to get it before the deadline expires!)

Just done mine. Had to 'do' the full version as my 16th edition was done too early FFS!!

Could not afford the time off work to do it so I went for the NICEIC Virtual College Online variant. Cost

Just done mine. Had to 'do' the full version as my 16th edition was done too early FFS!!Could not afford the time off work to do it so I went for the NICEIC Virtual College Online variant. Cost

In my case the course was more of a paper excercise.. I know that this may appear 'big headed' but,...

I have been an NICEIC PDH [QS as was] for 20+ years. I used to employ a number of Electricians but went on my own a few years ago. I have been a Spark 'officially' for 35+ years. School O and A levels, ONC in Senior Engineering, 3 years at Uni, full Apprenticeship and then upto JIB Technician. Actually started going out on 'jobs' with my Grandad in his Isetta Bubble Car when I was about 6.....so I do have a bit of history. Thought I had do a bit of background before I wrote a review as it may colour the way it is read.

Course at Local College...4 days...375 + VAT

on line course 399 + VAT

Advantage is/was I could do it in my own time. No time off work so no loss of earnings.

Signed up on line on the Saturday night. Started the online tutorials straight away. finished it on the sunday night. Did the online Assessment on the Monday night [you have to do this to show competence before booking the Gola test. I think you have 5 chances. then Contacted local college and booked the GOLA for the 17th Dec.

Course was well written, a few mistakes in it and a few spelling errors, nothing serious.

I did not need/use the telephone support or e mail help line so cannot comment on it.

The on-screen voice is tedious so I turned it off.

I would advise anybody doing it to read EVERY question TWICE...some of the wording is designed to trip you up. Caught me out twice.

The course comes with a Book. The book is brilliant. The book arrived 24 hours AFTER I did the GOLA test.

The book explains the Regs in English; it is not bedside reading material but is readable AND the info does seem to stick better.

Did I learn anything? YES

Would I recommend the Course? YES

The best part was doing it in my own time, at my own speed AND not losing work time.

If anybody wants any more info then just post your questions and I will try to answer

it changes nothing just more money to pay out apprentices at work are useless and are doing level 3 or have got it i do 2 days a week for a firm and its the same as usual you ve got it or you have nt and i m afraid level 3 means thing from what i see

Did the level 3 technical cert years ago. Didn't finish the nvq 3 as we got a contract away from home and off i went(DOH!). have since done 2392,2382,2377, Logic PV installer, fire alarm and emergency lights course. to go with over 10 years experience.

Have never really bothered with the jib as all the companies I worked for, paid better than the jib rates and iv never been out of work till this year. Now unless I can come up with a job and

I would be ok with this if I could find a company that could let me do my NVQ. I feel like I'm gonna get all the way to the end of 2391, get all fully qualified, have a couple of years experience, and finally become an NVQ apprentice -.-.

how can a company stop you doing your NVQ?
Part of the NVQ is working with different types of cables and installaton of these cables, if you only do house bashing how can you say you have done SWA, pyro etc, you also have to have to have someone sign to say you have done them then they can refuse to sign saying you have if you haven't installed different types of cables and installation methods.

how can a company stop you doing your NVQ?
It's more that I joined a company who said they did all aspects of electrical and said I'd be able to do NVQ work with them. I quickly learnt from the other sparks that all they do is house bash and did commercial once.

I'm signed up to an agency to go out on commercial/industrial work now, but I need to find out if it's possible to do my NVQ through multiple companies because I think this will all be short-term contract work from the way the woman described how it all worked.

when i worked for a house bashing company, i questioned the college if I would be able to do my portfolio, they didnt have a problem with it, land lords areas are considered commercial so that gave the domestic/commercial, submains to flats were armoured, always getting site instructions to move transformer or cabins all in armoured.

When it actually came to doing my portfolio I worked for a company that only did commercial and all i worked in was schools, the college said just make the jobs very different so one job i submitted was a new build with full metal containment, the second was alterations in a very old school to wiring was LSF twin, both commercial but very different college again didnt have a problem.

I know it wont be like this for everyone but I dont think ive ever worked for a company and just touched type of cabling or one type of premises.

I cant see you having a problem with short term work besides getting enough information and evidence form the job.

Am finally gonna part with my money before March so I don't have to go back to collage to get a diploma to change a socket to swallow a spider to catch the fly perhaps IL be qualified before i die. Sorry still not recovered from new years eve. I know people who have the nvq, who haven't a clue one of them makes my brew.. sorry...I think the nvq is a worse con than the scam clubs as anyone can take a picture holding a piece of swa. anyway im gonna have to get my brew b@@ch to sign off my jobs as I go as he is more quallified than me.

i have spoken to napit about this as i plan to register later this year in August when i have completed my three years at college 2330 lvl 2 & 3. i already have 17th. i do not plan to do the 2356 nvq. they told me i would not need the nvq as 2330 at level 3 is sufficient. i also spoke to a chap at elecsa who said that at the moment you could register with the 17th edition but as of july you will need the nvq lvl 3 . he didn't know if the 2330 lvl 3 would be o.k on its own. he also said current members would need to obtain on renewal the new qualification what ever is required. so who is correct do you need the nvq lvl 3 to go along the side of the lvl 3 2330 or not to register with a scheme after july.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant really see that being the case mate. There are thousands of sparks out there who qualified before the NVQ came out doing C&G 236 Part 1&2 which is equivalent to C&G 2330 Level 2&3. They dont have the NVQ. Who told you that at Elecsa please?

Edit: You are correct mate. Ive just spoken to Elecsa who confirmed as of July 2011 people wishing to join Elecsa will have to have NVQ3 minimum. If you are already registered and do not have NVQ level 3 you are fine to carry on without it.

Cheers

Cant really see that being the case mate. There are thousands of sparks out there who qualified before the NVQ came out doing C&G 236 Part 1&2 which is equivalent to C&G 2330 Level 2&3. They dont have the NVQ. Who told you that at Elecsa please?Edit: You are correct mate. Ive just spoken to Elecsa who confirmed as of July 2011 people wishing to join Elecsa will have to have NVQ3 minimum. If you are already registered and do not have NVQ level 3 you are fine to carry on without it.

Cheers
After July NEW registrants will require an NVQ level 3 in installation OR EQUIVALENT.

Latest posts