Usb/13Amp Outlets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsparks

Reaction score
Hello.

Has anybody got any idea's as to if any precautions are needed when insulation testing @ say 500 Volts on these new

power points with USB outlets? I believe that the USB outlet part is always available and not switched by the

sockets switch. Would any megger-testing  give a false reading, or possibly damage outlet, as in RCD protected plugs?

I have been asked to install some new points with these on  new circuits, and I am going to ensure they are RCD

protected, as the requirement to do so are already in force I believe. The new points are for general unsupervised

use by students, so RCD's are a must here. ( I believe that has been a requirement for quite some time already)

Would I be right in thinking a like-for-like swop of an existing 13A SSO with a new USB type socket would not have to

be up-graded to RCD protected, if the circuit is not already? So far, the ones I have already done, are  RCD protected.

Thanks, southsparks.

Replacement is and always has been the same.... It's maintenance so replace and recommend a RCD if it isn't protected.

As for carrying out insulation tests on these USB sockets,,, I'd treat them the same way as I would a dimmer switch or something similar... Disconnect and link cables as necessary

I asked the same question of BG Nexus yesterday

WARNING disconnect the sockets before testing or test at 250v ..............................

And as a caveat on the rear of the sockets in small print is "for connection of IT equipment only"  or words to that effect.........

And from the Tec help desk, " let your customer know the socket fronts will get warm but don't worry this is normal"

Thanks for replies. Will bear in your suggestions when doing work. Wonder how much those USB sockets use? can't be that much, no more than RCD

socket, as they get a bit warm on front. Did mention to customer to make sure the students don't try and charge their E-cigs, as I have seen on TV the

batteries can explode!

Southsparks.

Electrical Safety First have had lab checks done on several of these and the results are very poor.

Check the report out and review them in the flesh as it were before you buy them.

We had some on a job which were not combined with a socket outlet, just a single plate with USB outlets on. The supply terminals were of the type you get on a standard timer fan, e.g. 10/16A PCB mount connector blocks. The guy doing the job explained that he had been unable to get the buth legs of the ring in the connections so had to joint in a 30A connector block and single 2.5mm² to the terminals.

We were pulled up on it by the NIC inspector on it, but no where on the manufacturers instructions could we find anything indicating the maximum protective device they should be protected be. Que an email to the technical department of the maufacturer. The reply received was that they were indeed suitable for direct connection to the ring without any fusing down.

While this pleased the contracts manager on the job, I would have feed them through a spur with 3A fuse and beleive the bloke from the NIC had raised a valid concern and am not sure that what the manufacturer advise is wise

Canoeboy said:
They didn't smoke and they are all still working, they were the screwfix black nickel type ones

Thats the LAP ones i refer to. I have been using quite a bit of LAP stuff recently. Screwfix has opened 5 min walk from   my house and is open from 7am till 8pm. The LAP stuff appears much better than most of the other stuff available. I bought a   load of the white USB ones on a introduction offer of £9 each.

Just be careful on mineral insulated. If it is light duty there is a chance that 1000v dc could flash across it and cause a fault that wasn't there before

Thanks for all the replies. The leaflets supplied with these sockets warn not to Megger-test, as it would damage them. I now know

that,but what if a future electrician comes along to do some routine insulation testing. Would he/she have to go round and remove them

all before carrying out a test, or would using 250 volt tests with live & neutral together together, and to earth be ok? I guess they

would get a false reading if left connected. I tend to mark-up the circuit-breaker as a warning to help any future tester.

So far all the circuits I have worked on are already RCD protected. These new sockets are really only intended & expected to be 

used to operate or charge IT equipment, so RCD's maybe not so serious an issue, although, as we all know, what we install can

be in theory, used for any purpose, and is out of our control, so best to have RCD's in place.

Southsparks.