USB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered what voltage comes out of USB ports ?

My iPhone charger is a USB lead plugged into the plug and wondered if there was a transformer in the plug as it must be tiny if there is one?

Also read somewhere (may have been on here) that socket outlets are on the Market incorporating USBs so wondered if these had built in transformers?

Thanks for any info

m4tty

Hi,Just wondered what voltage comes out of USB ports ?4.75 to 5.25v

My iPhone charger is a USB lead plugged into the plug and wondered if there was a transformer in the plug as it must be tiny if there is one? YES but not as we know it

Also read somewhere (may have been on here) that socket outlets are on the Market incorporating USBs so wondered if these had built in transformers? HAMILTON.....see answer #2 above

Thanks for any info

m4tty

i think theres a resisitor in the usb plug to limit the current flow/ voltage, so acts as a sort of transformer .
a resistor would drop the voltage . then it has to be converted to DC and then smoothed as in the old bridge rectifier and big 'cap'.. Probably some form of 'Nano technology':tongue in cheek

would it not be a zener diode that regulates voltage? been years since i dont any electronics

a resistor would drop the voltage . then it has to be converted to DC and then smoothed as in the old bridge rectifier and big 'cap'.. Probably some form of 'Nano technology':tongue in cheek
Can all done in a IC chip now.

Changing the subject a little does anyone do a DSSO with a couple of USB ports on it ?And it's more than likely an IC with a few surface mount resistors and capacitors...
but.... then it would not be isolated fomr the mains surely. that cannot be a good thing. unless its got a transformer in there somewhere

Hi,Just wondered what voltage comes out of USB ports ?

My iPhone charger is a USB lead plugged into the plug and wondered if there was a transformer in the plug as it must be tiny if there is one?

Also read somewhere (may have been on here) that socket outlets are on the Market incorporating USBs so wondered if these had built in transformers?

Thanks for any info

m4tty
i have seen the sockets you are on about at cef retail at

Hamilton have one on the market, 1g socket c/w USB port.

Works through an IC control system, full protection from short circuit ,overload & overheating.

Output is 5v DC X 1A X 3watts

Needs a 35mm deep box .