Van Insurance And Young Electricians ('i'm Not An Apprentice Anymore' He Keeps Telling Me!)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loonytoon

Reaction score
Evening Gentleman (And Lady Sparks).

Trying to find insurance for our 21 yr old newly qualified apprentice (don't let him hear me call him that!)

Got to the stage now where he would be more use going our on his own than paying him to follow one of us oldies around.

The van will live in our yard over night and will only be used by him for work.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that offer insurance between 7am and 7pm only.

Cheapest quotes we can find are over £2500 business use only for an 09 plate 1.6 HDi Peugeot Expert. (I know, but its the only 1.6 HDi we have, the others are 2.0 HDi!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

£2500    Geeez !!!     I don't think the premiums drop until you are past age 25  TBH .   Doesn't matter what you now call him , he,s still 21 yrs old .

Try asking about the tracker device for young drivers thingy ........  I saw a van the other day that obviously went round fitting them , might help , plus the van is parked at your premises each night.

Unfortunately, older smaller vans seem to be even more to insure. It seems young drivers have been buying small vans as they were cheaper to insure and the insurance companies have cottoned on to this and bumped the prices up.

Plus I want to change my van to the 2.0 HDi as its better on the motorways than the 1.6 HDi. I seem to spend a lot of time on the motorway now so makes sense to put him it the 1.6 HDi to trundle round town in.

All our vans are fitted with trackers but this is for our own purpose not for security, though it can be used for this. Ideal for when you can't remember hours on job. Just download data for van and it tells you when you arrived and left.

Steps, I would recommend the new Experts/Dispatch/Scudo! Especially the 2.0HDi professional! 130bhp and goes like stink! Just wish I had one.

Had a 1.9 NA Scudo before. What a bad of S***. Met an untimely death at 60mph on a duel cabbage way when the piston went through the head! BOOM!

Last edited by a moderator:
loony, Im looking at changing in the next month or so, but, it will only be to an 04/5 I would think depending on finances, will still be a scudo/dispatch/expert though,

Ive heard nothing but good about them all TBH, mate of mine has a 1.9 NA with almost 300K on it, and no major hassles!

they are a bit dead though for motorway work, but I only do 60 anyway, my days of speed are long gone, never was a fast driver anyway, had my speed in other ways.  :D

loony, Im looking at changing in the next month or so, but, it will only be to an 04/5 I would think depending on finances, will still be a scudo/dispatch/expert though,Ive heard nothing but good about them all TBH, mate of mine has a 1.9 NA with almost 300K on it, and no major hassles!

they are a bit dead though for motorway work, but I only do 60 anyway, my days of speed are long gone, never was a fast driver anyway, had my speed in other ways.  :D
Mate, there's some cracking deals out there on the new styles, (dependent on your finances of course) just found this on e bay, 07 plate 2.0 HDi with 55000 on the clock, not bad for a 5 yr old van which probably cost £13000 new!

One day I'll actually get round to writing the review on them for the review section!

Last edited by a moderator:
have looked at that sort of thing,

but talked it over with the missus and simply dont have that sort of cash, and not sure if in this climate going down the route of tick is wise or not......

have seen some decentish 05/06 for around 3K and that would probably be me pushed TBH.

I use A Plan and find them much cheaper than comparison sites as they looked at all the variables and made suggestions based on them. For instance, today I bought another van for the company - a 55 plate Transit. He advised me to put my wife on the policy (even though she isn't an employee) and it brought it down considerably. He advised me against fleet insurance as it can be extremely costly and even managed to mirror the NCB of one of the directors on his personal cars. End result - fully comp insurance for £360. They are able to take into account the 'human' element which comparison site struggle to deal with so in my book, well worth talking to.

Try BeWiser insurance thats who i am with thanks to the missus making inquiries with other companies. Im 28 and paying just over £1000 fully comp on an 11 plate 1.3 Vauxhall Combo van.

Ouch. What it is to be young.

I won't complain at £275 fully comp including business use on my Forrester then.  Nor will I complain at £100 for the classic car insurance for my Landrover.

Insurance is strange stuff though.  When I got married, I phoned my insurance to tell them I was married and to add my wife as a named driver. The premium went DOWN as a result of adding her.  As others have said, a decent broker will know stuff like that and get you a better deal.

But based on the fact when I bought my first car, aged 17, it cost between £200 to £300 to insure (that was worth a lot more back then) and I'm still paying about the same amount (though it's worth less) does that mean todays young drivers can look forward to paying over £1000 all their life?

my insurance with NO NCB [first time insurance in England for a car/van] on a 2001 1.9D scudo was 612£ -ish last year, fully comp, was over 700 withOUT the wife on it.......

its a strange world we live in.

Jeez,, you guys are getting stung

My insurance is something like £240 fully comp for a 1.9D Kangoo and I've had knocking on for £40K of claims against me (but nothing in the last 15 years thankfully)

Latest posts