van insurance cancelled!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will be some small print somewhere that basically says that you are wrong, no matter what you do or say.

I read the small print on my policy once...found out I was not covered for working in computer server rooms; my main area of work and expertise is in computer server rooms! FFS the last one I did had to have its own 11KV sub outside on the carpark so I could have 1200 A/Ph!!. I rang them back and they said it was a mistake Ho Hum!.........not to mention the copper and fibre Data and Comms side of the work.

Insurance companies ? bunch of flipping flippers if you want my opinion, on the same par as Bankers and Estate Agents.......rant finishes, long day...but a good one................. :coat

Kerching, Ive read and re-read it all, all they ask for is a copy of my DL,

nothing anywhere stating it must be the same address!

OK, I know I should have got it changed, but why accept it in the first place when they were cleary aware it was NOT an English licence,?

AND, not the fact it NOT an English licence, they are arguing the point a different address, HTF did they think it would be the same address if it was issued in a different country?!?!?

its at the DVLA now Apache,

but, with 'not' having a permanent address it is a legal requirement to be have your licence at an address where you can be contacted, (well for an NI licence anyway),

its my brothers address.

it is also a requirement for an NI licence to be issued in the name you are 'known' as, [this may not actually be your given name], mine is in my known name, as is my passport, and any other documentation I have,

including my bank account etc.

I think its a throwback to the settlers where if your name is John you would normally be called Ian.

I can't answer the insurance bit.

But surely when you move house you have to inform the DVLA of the change of address.

And surely it's not a NI driving licence, but a UK driving licence that you just happened to obtain in NI?

I didn't have to get a new Scottish driving licence when I moved, but I did have to notify the change of address to the DVLA, and I did have to pay a little extra to get a licence with my photo on it as all new licences have to.

Until you sort this out, and re instate your insurance you are grounded.

Steppers , last time I looked ,NI was in the UK . I've never been asked about the address on licence just how many points and what are the offence codes .

Am I to understand then, that you have a licence issued in the name of Albert Seamus O'Steptoe ??
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

seems the problem being that the policy is with a company that wont insure in NI, [bT postcodes and all that]

its a funny old situation, they say they only insure GB drivers 'apparently', the UK does include NI, GB doesnt, methinks the broker is trying to wriggle here,

they accepted my money and IMO entered into a contract knowing my licence was NI, the fact the company they placed my policy with wont accept this shouldnt have a bearing on me, should it?

NI licence have had photo since the '70s,[used to look like a little blue passport], as they were also ID cards and it is in fact illegal to drive in NI without having your licence on your person.

my licence is actually identical to a GB one except it doesnt have the bar code on it, but the points bit and offence codes and everything else is the same.

Im just totally peeved that they took my money knowing that I had an NI licence and now they want

I would try telling them you will inform the FSA about them i was mis sold an insurance once when i told therm i would inform the FSA they paid all my money back. Maybe worth a try.

batty, dont worry mate,

they will be getting informed,

as well as a few other folks,

BTW, the broker was EXPRESS INSURANCE, frickin K nobs

been on tinterweb and have another quote, but now Im worried if they will be the same!

Ive had to take a chance otherwise HTF do I get to work tomorrow,

seems I can use the wifes licence if I need, put her down as 1st driver and if Im only named I only have to sign a declaration!!! its a frickin joke,!!!

anyway, Im just waiting on my licence back from DVLA [swansea division :D ] .

Good luck steps life's hard enough without this hassle, reminds me i must get the insurance sorted on my new van so i can go and pick it up when its ready.

What a load of brown stuff. How many larger businesses have vans registered to home rather than office addresses? None. Does it say in the small print van has to be registered to same address as main driver?

Steps. Ask for a copy of the recording. You know they have it as they have stated to you that they have already listened to it.

Are you 100% sure that you said to them, what you have told us you have? Is so, get a copy of the recording and tell them that you will be getting in touch with the FSA and taking legal advice.

** EDIT ** You have gone through an insurance broker, so they will have the recording, yes? If so, and you said what you told us, then THEY SHOULD pay the cancellation fees etc - Surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
batty, dont worry mate,they will be getting informed,

as well as a few other folks,

BTW, the broker was EXPRESS INSURANCE, frickin K nobs

been on tinterweb and have another quote, but now Im worried if they will be the same!

Ive had to take a chance otherwise HTF do I get to work tomorrow,

seems I can use the wifes licence if I need, put her down as 1st driver and if Im only named I only have to sign a declaration!!! its a frickin joke,!!!

anyway, Im just waiting on my licence back from DVLA [swansea division :D ] .
Express tried that with me licence was off at dvla as photocard needed renewing, said they would cancel my insurance in 7 days called them response was oh we can use last years copy....why have you wasted my valuable time yet again????? wont use express again had it with them.