Very old head

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Final Fix

Reaction score
Hi can anyone offer advice?

I've been to look at a a consumer unit change. The head is antiquated. it wasn't sealed so I tried to pull the cover off but it was stuck. I eventually got it off and there was a porcelain fuse carrier underneath. This has been stuck in with bitumen. The Line cable from the head to the meter is 16mm double insulated but the neutral from a seperate box is a cloth covered VIR.

Can anyone

A. Put an age to the head,

B. Suggest what the fuse type and rating is, and

C. Is it possible to issue an installation certificate without the head being changed?

Thanks.

Hi can anyone offer advice?I've been to look at a a consumer unit change. The head is antiquated. it wasn't sealed so I tried to pull the cover off but it was stuck. I eventually got it off and there was a porcelain fuse carrier underneath. This has been stuck in with bitumen. The Line cable from the head to the meter is 16mm double insulated but the neutral from a seperate box is a cloth covered VIR.

Can anyone

A. Put an age to the head,

B. Suggest what the fuse type and rating is, and

C. Is it possible to issue an installation certificate without the head being changed?

Thanks.
Call the DNO for an upgrade, this would be a sensible way forward. It should be changed sooner, rather than later.

Can I ask who (what area you are? and) your DNO is?

Don

The Head & cables emanating from this and to the meter are not your responsibility and do not fall within the realms of BS7671. Any thing here does not stop you testing and issuing a certificate. However if it looks dodgy then do as the Don advised and call the DNO. Say how it felt warm and tar is leaking out, rather than asking for an upgrade.

The Head & cables emanating from this and to the meter are not your responsibility and do not fall within the realms of BS7671. Any thing here does not stop you testing and issuing a certificate. However if it looks dodgy then do as the Don advised and call the DNO. Say how it felt warm and tar is leaking out, rather than asking for an upgrade.
Quite right Slips, they should upgrade for free, where there is an issue (on their part).

Don

And you can hear a "Buzzing / Crackling" coming from it? ]:)

Thanks you lot. Sound advice all round. spoke to EDF today. The tar means it's been overloaded at some point. Bad news was it could be a 30A rewirable fuse. 80 years old.

Final fix.

Thanks you lot. Sound advice all round. spoke to EDF today. The tar means it's been overloaded at some point. Bad news was it could be a 30A rewirable fuse. 80 years old. Final fix.
Yep...

I got the DNO to replace a DOUBLE fuse (Live & Neutral) last year...

Both were 30A and looked like the originals from the 1930's... :^O

:eek: