Video Entry System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if this the right place if not please move. :)

I've been tasked with installing a video entry system for a customer with dementia.

Not having done one before I'm seeking some advice and recommendations for the right products to be looking at.

It needs to be one that makes use of the TV as that is where they have plonked the old dear and it must also be able to facilitate additional handset's when required.

I have installed bellsytems intercoms previously.

As always any help is appreciated!

:)

The Bell Systems ones that I previously used had a standard 75ohm video output so could be linked to the TV as well. The base could also be expanded to incorporate additional handsets. Using the Bell Systems video handsets would be best though as this would mean that the user wouldn't have to fumble about with the TV trying to switch it over to the aux input to view the video feed every time.

I've seen ones that automatically switch over to the video feed on the TV when the bell/buzzer is rung. Is this not a standard feature!? If not how hard can it be to implement?
It's not standard as such, you usually find this feature on the DIY ones. What they will do is plug in to the TV via the SCART socket and use pin 8 to signal the TV that something is happening. The TV will usually then switch over to that AV channel. This can be replicated by sticking 12V on pin 8 yourself if you really want to.

okay so they (OT service/my employer's) definately want it to come on the TV so she can clearly see who's at the door. They don't do this for everyone with dementia so not sure why this one's so special.

I noticed that most have a coax output is there a way of sending this signal down cat6 and then changing it to scart or hdmi?

It all sounds way too complicated now but THEY WANT IT DONE and some doofus has promised that it will be done on my behalf!

Sorry if I'm not making sense it's been a tough week and I could really do with a sleep right now!

As you know video door entry usually uses a handset/monitor system within the property... If you're going to set it up so that the video is shown on the TV then the user will need some other form of opening the door,, perhaps other than a handset.

TBH I'd either pass this query on to a local wholesaler or find a security supplier and ask them

I have some customers who have a voice only intercom which connects to their mobile phones,,, they each have "care link" type fobs that they can open and close their front door with (not just unlock)... there are some very clever systems out there..

Maybe the peoples OTs could source something for you to fit as they tend to get all the catalogues.

I've fitted body dryers and bum washers in the past,,, however I didn't supply them

I noticed that most have a coax output is there a way of sending this signal down cat6 and then changing it to scart or hdmi?
You're mixing terminology so there isn't an answer to this. Co-ax means nothing, could be CVBS/composite video or RF. If it is RF you would need to convert it to something else to send it over the cat6. If it was CVBS you could just use a standard pair of CCTV baluns and then connect to the TV's AV input. You cannot "convert to SCART" as SCART is a connector type, although it does contain pins for composite video. HDMI is digital (CVBS and RF are analogue) so you would need another converter to use this input.

As has been mentioned, there are many ways to do this, and also depending on what else wants doing there may be better ways of doing it. Might be better off just handing it over to someone else, especially if they want auto doors etc. Usually just ends up being more hassle than it's worth for a one off job if you're not familiar with any of the kit at all.

My2p worth.

I have to agree with Lurch, I have more to do with alarms than Access control, simply because it looks like "an easy thing to do" (and in most cases it is) but when a customer wants "a one off" it is often the case they want  /  need something really out of the ordinary, so you figure it out install it and it works.......but it took a long time to get the right kit, and if it doesn't work or develops a fault it is then down to you to fix it, but truth is you have no idea what to do. So although most of the time it is a simple job, I always decline it as I know that no matter how simple  / hard it is you will end up wishing you had not touched it in the first place.

I would recommend you politely say its not your field of work and walk away.

Also consider this. You started off by saying its a video entry system, but it turns out its video that has to be integrated into an existing tv, and have possible door remote controls, not what it started as and where will it end.

There is no shame in saying something is beyond your ability.

I would (and have on a few occasions) fitted a stsndard voice door entry system. Then fitted a camera next to the door wired to the tv. If connected as lurch suggested, extend the buzzer to put voltage onto pin 8 of the scart to auto switch

Just thought I'd update on this, I know it's been ages! sorry I wanted to reply on the laptop as using the quotes system is easier on a large screen version of the forum.

So anyway did I mention I work with Muppets? :innocent

I went to the job and as it turns out there was already a video system in place but it wasn't working and it had been condemned by a sia licenced professional whatever that means? So someone had thought to replace the whole system using tax payers money!

I decided to see if I could fix it after all its only wires, how hard can it be?

There had been some work on the system recently with the addition of another handset and soon after that the system stopped working. why no one thought to chase up the company is beyond me.

so checked all the connections, removed all the tape and replaced with crimps, repaired the damaged cores (looked like they had used a machette) and replaced a blown fuse and hey presto were back in business.

they system had a small box which transfered the video signal to the TV via a scart lead. ;)

Thanks again for all your input. I appreciate your opinions and suggestions!